1964 Belair 327 oil pan

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I looked on the Rock and the pan gasket was a 55-56 year part. In 57 the # changed. I have a 265 block I will have to look at. All I can remember is that it does not have side mount provisions.
Jeff

Had a guy that I let use my shop to replace the engine in his 67 C/10. He had gotten an engine from his boss that was a spare or maybe the original for his 58 corvette. This guy came to me and said the block didn't have the side mount bolt bosses. He was showing how the bolt on mount would fit nice and flat to the side of the block and thought he could just chain the engine down tight agent's the mounts. :facepalm I told him he could hook a chain to bumper of his truck and drag it out and take it home to do that. I wouldn't let work like that come out of my shop. He ended up getting a saddle mount for the front and bellhousing for side mounts.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Had a guy that I let use my shop to replace the engine in his 67 C/10. He had gotten an engine from his boss that was a spare or maybe the original for his 58 corvette. This guy came to me and said the block didn't have the side mount bolt bosses. He was showing how the bolt on mount would fit nice and flat to the side of the block and thought he could just chain the engine down tight agent's the mounts. :facepalm I told him he could hook a chain to bumper of his truck and drag it out and take it home to do that. I wouldn't let work like that come out of my shop. He ended up getting a saddle mount for the front and bellhousing for side mounts.
And how does it go "They walk amongst us and are allowed to vote!"
Jeff

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Here's the difference in the pans. The upside, aside from having learned something, is that I now have a 1955 oil pan for sale.
The one on the left in this shot is a 55 265 no oil filter pan. The somewhat rusty one on the right looks like a '65-70 327-350 pan. I don't think it would work in a 58-64 frame because of the steering linkage.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's the difference in the pans. The upside, aside from having learned something, is that I now have a 1955 oil pan for sale.
Does the 55 pan bolt pattern match with the exception of the 2nd hole from the rear on the left side?
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
The stepped pan in the middle looks like the 65 and later Impala and the Chevelle pan, I had always heard they were iffy for fitting in the earlier big cars so never tried them.