1964 canadian impala

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
According to Vern , NO X frames were made in Canada. All of our frames were made by three different companies here in the US...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve heard the Canadian frame was always more boxed than many us frames, they likely all came from the same plant and maybe that plant only made boxed frames.

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
1958 delivery
Just for clarification for those who have no idea on the frames, I would like to add the following:
Two different frames were manufactured during this time frame.

1. Frame was ‘boxed’ all the way back to the very back corner. Channel across the back.
2. Frame was ‘boxed’ back to behind the rear wheels. THEN the last 3’ the frame was channel to the corner. Channel across the back.

Why they were made this way I do not know.
It SEEMS that many/most frames going to Canada were boxed all the way to the end. I do not remember any discussion in the ‘60’s-‘80’s here in the US regarding ‘total boxed’ frames because most if not all were channel the last 3’. I think Don is correct, one particular manufacturer sent most all their frames to Canada. Make any since?
Dennis Bubp

Last edited:

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have posted the following information some time ago on this forum, relative to the X Frames , 58 -64 chevrolets . In view of the fact that some of our members missed this information, I will post it again, as the question about the X frames continues to come up: In 2010, I spoke with Vern FRANTZ about this subject and here was his answer::: "The rumor about the boxed frames being Canadian , has been around too long ! There were three suppliers of frames for our Chevys: A.O. SMITH-They made the open channel frame for CONVERTIBLES. BUDD COMPANY- They made an open channel frame for all other models: CHEVROLET (or Detroit)- They made the boxed frame for all models EXCEPT convertibles.
NO frames were made in Canada. But since Detroit is so close to Canada, it's possible those were the only frames shipped to the Canadian assembly plant, thus, they became "Canadian" frames" End quote. Hope this is helpful . Mike

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wonder if box frames going to Canada was a logistical issue. Was the box frame manufacturer closer to the border?

I posted this just as Mike posted his reply above. :D

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Flint built cars I have seen have full box ( wrinkle frame). I used to have a list and kept track of Plants and frames that were in the cars that I looked at. I had a habit of asking people to look at there door tag and then immediately look at frame:wacko