1964 Impala Deluxe Wood-grain Steering Wheel

sandiegohat

Hello All,
I've recently purchased an original 2-spoke wood grain steering for a 1964 Impala. Its missing the hub and horn ring. Does anyone know the correct one that I am supposed to have? I've tried classic industries and they are no help. Thank you

Here is an example of the one that I have:

Example of the one that I have

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There are 3 different hubs.....full size, Chevelle and Corvette.
Call Jody Anderson...64 Guru..612-727-2404.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I think that only one hub specifically will fit that wood wheel and work correctly. Had the wheel, hub and horn cap about 8 years ago. Sold them in one of my “I’ll never use it moments”. Had it at a swap meet for sale at $600. Guy comes up and looks it over and asks price. I tell him and he laughs. Offers $150. I said no and he said that was his top offer take it or leave it. I declined and he again laughed as he shook his head walking away. Less than five minutes later he came back, handed me six hundred dollar bills, picked up the wheel and walked away without saying a word. Got another wheel only hanging on the wall in the garage. Hope to use it someday along with a couple other hard to find accessories on a ‘64.

Fuzz

MAGA

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Idk if 65's are the same but I have 2 in couple of my cars and have a 3rd wheel no hub so I bought a repop which does not work as turn signal won't cancel correctly and something about the horn I believe, so I pulled that piece of junk off and use it as a wheel chock in the shop so what ever you do don't buy a repop absolute garbage and wheel is hanging up till I find another hub for my 3rd 65 which currently has a little tiny aftermarket wheel in it till the time comes

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Please read my post above!

Phil is correct. In my post, I was just thinking about an Impala hub. If memory serves me correctly, the Impala hub, Nova & Chevelle hub (same) and Corvette are all vehicle specific 64-66. Sorry if my post was confusing. They might fit, but don’t work canceling cam.

Fuzz

MAGA

blkss64

Well Known Member
The wood wheel was an option first available for the 1964 production year. The full size Chevys, Chevelles and Corvairs had this style wheel. The full size and Chevelle wheel were 16 inches in diameter and the Corvair wheel was 15 inches in diameter. This wheel design was available from 64-66 production years. The hubs are a different story. The Corvair used the same hub from 64-66. The Chevelle used the same hub from 64-66. The full size Chev used a 1 year only hub in 64 and the same hub in 65 and 66.
Mr Reed is correct. If you need any part for a 64, Jody Anderson is THE go to guy. If he does not have a part, he most likely will have a source for it. I have delt with Jody and Phil many times over the years and they are both the best.
Not sure about the Nova though.

sandiegohat

Thank you Phil, I've called him a few times and will keep trying, thank you for the lead.

sandiegohat

Idk if 65's are the same but I have 2 in couple of my cars and have a 3rd wheel no hub so I bought a repop which does not work as turn signal won't cancel correctly and something about the horn I believe, so I pulled that piece of junk off and use it as a wheel chock in the shop so what ever you do don't buy a repop absolute garbage and wheel is hanging up till I find another hub for my 3rd 65 which currently has a little tiny aftermarket wheel in it till the time comes

Unfortuneately I've purchased a repop one already and you are correct, it does not cancel correctly and you can not uses the horn because there is no way for the contacts to reach each other. Going to the try the POC Phil provided and see if I can get some action.

sandiegohat

The wood wheel was an option first available for the 1964 production year. The full size Chevys, Chevelles and Corvairs had this style wheel. The full size and Chevelle wheel were 16 inches in diameter and the Corvair wheel was 15 inches in diameter. This wheel design was available from 64-66 production years. The hubs are a different story. The Corvair used the same hub from 64-66. The Chevelle used the same hub from 64-66. The full size Chev used a 1 year only hub in 64 and the same hub in 65 and 66.
Mr Reed is correct. If you need any part for a 64, Jody Anderson is THE go to guy. If he does not have a part, he most likely will have a source for it. I have delt with Jody and Phil many times over the years and they are both the best.
Not sure about the Nova though.

Thank you for providing the above information, I'll keep trying to reach Jody.