1965 340 Hp 409

64 Hard top

Hello everyone. My name is Randy

I'm new to this forum. I've recently acquired a 1965 340 HP 409 Passenger car engine. It's rebuilt. Nothing fancy. It's basically stock, bored .040 over, 10.5:1 pistons,stock heads and a mild cam. It's my intention to install the engine into my 1964 Pontiac Parisienne. For those who are not familiar with the Parisienne,.. this was a Canadian built Pontiac on a Chevy chassis. It was offered with a 409 as an option from the factory. It had always been my hope to find a passenger car 409 to drop into it. I finally got the chance after many years of looking for one. Everyone knows how rare they are and what they are worth when you actually find someone who is willing to part with it. (unfortunately ,.it seems there are many 409 owners out there who are content to simply own the engine, keep it on an engine stand and never do anything with it.)

I'll be keeping the engine the way it is (single 4 BBL) with basically stock internals. The engine was expensive enough without having to now start financing the fabled 2X4 heads, carbs and intake. It will be a fun driver. I'd prefer to enjoy driving the car as opposed to simply looking at it on an engine stand and drinking beer while playing old beach boys tunes :-)

If anyone out there has some photos of a stock 1964 409 340HP car engine, I'd appreciate seeing them. I'm particularly interested in seeing where the factory hoses are connected on the intake. I've seen partial photos which show a hose running from the filler tube and ending somewhere behind the carb. There is also one more hose that comes from the back of the intake. I'm not sure where that one connects. I'm interested in keeping the engine "detailed" to 1964 409 340HP appearance.

In any case,.. my best regards to everyone on the forum! I look forward to hearing from you.

64 Hard top

I live in Manitoba Canada. 409 engines are really hard to find in Canada. The one I have originated in British Columbia. I came out of a 65 Impala.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The one I have originated in British Columbia. I came out of a 65 Impala.

Where in B.C. did you find it ?? ......... there was one for sale not long ago in Kelowna.

Dave

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Boy ! My eyes are really going ! The first thing out of his mouth was "Hi,My Name is Randy ",and I ask him what his name is.:doh

:crazy:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome abaord Randy:beerbang your build sound good would love to see the rest of that car:pray Ken

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Randy....

My Australian Belair came out of Canada.

Lots of great info here... Now, all we need is some pics!

Lots of pics, of the car and engine. :cool:

64 Hard top

Where in B.C. did you find it ?? ......... there was one for sale not long ago in Kelowna.

Dave

I bought it locally from a rare engine re-builder. Like every 409 ,.. this one has a story. He had a friend who moved to B.C. in the 80's. (with the '65 Impala 409). The owner yanked the engine around 1995. He fell on hard times and and moved to Ontario. When he moved from B.C. ,... he brought the engine and sold it in Manitoba to the rare engine dealer. The motor was rebuilt a year ago. Then I bought it. The dealer has only ever had 2 409 car engines in the past 25 years of dealing engines.

Gravel truck hauler 409s are still here and there. Almost all the passenger car engines in Canada have been pilfered away by owners who don't ,..
A) have the money to rebuild the engine or ,....
B) have a car to put it into.
So they're especially hard to come by in Canada. But of course,.. now there's ebay,.. so if one has the $$$$$ ,..they can be had.