1965 396/425hp engine

Tenzs

I just purchased a 67 RS/SS 396 car, I knew it did not have the orginal engine, but I was told it is a 65 396 from a vette, After long disscussion, we found out it is actually from a 65 Impala, The alt pad reads, T0607IE F289465 , At first we thought the E was a F, and that the 94 meant corvette body, and 65 meant the year. We did not know what the 28 meant, After posting a pic on a corvette site, they determined it was a 425hp 396 from an impala, and 289465 is actually a vin number from a impala. My question is, did they make that many impalas? I know they started the vins with 100000, thats 189465, impalas. just to this one.
The block is standard, and a 4 bolt main, 3855962, with a may build cast date, the heads are 3856208, with a D-15-5 on both, and the intake is 3866963. I cant see the date on it. This engine has never been apart, and is still in the car and running fine. I know where this car has been since 1971, so I know its not tampered with. Thanks for any info in advanced.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's a pretty rare engine youv'e got there. Like the other guys said it's a 425hp 396 Impala engine that was assembled late in the production year on 7 June 65. If you could find the owner of the car it came out of he might be interested in taking it off your hands for a pretty penny. Most assembly plants built in excess of 500 cars per work day so it wouldn't take long to get to 189,000 with 13 plants building the fullsize cars.:cool:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a pretty rare engine youv'e got there. Like the other guys said it's a 425hp 396 Impala engine that was assembled late in the production year on 7 June 65. If you could find the owner of the car it came out of he might be interested in taking it off your hands for a pretty penny. Most assembly plants built in excess of 500 cars per work day so it wouldn't take long to get to 189,000 with 13 plants building the fullsize cars.:cool:

Ditto Skydog. But the casting numbers are also correct for a Vette, not the vin. If the original owner didn't want it, you could sell it for a high amount to the Vet guys.
If you do find it was in a currently registered car and that car had ever been involved in a theft, you would be legally obligated to return the engine to the owner.

Tenzs

Thanks for that, Im sure it was not ever in a stolen vehicle, I can trace it back to early 70's, and the previous owner was killed in the car, it supposely came out of. So its just a coincidence that 94, meaning stingray, and 65 are in the vin number then?
67RSss006.jpg

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Dave,
Ran across any 63 Impala SS converts lately?:brow I hope "Elvis" is treating that car OK.
Ross

Tenzs

Hey Ross, How you been? I havent heard from Elvis since he called to tell me he got his car. He was very happy with it, I hope its going well for him. They have become very hot cars since.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Dave,
I just pray that he is restoring the car an not turning it into a low rider. From his e-bay account he has been buying some original NOS parts for it, so that's a good sign.
You got that 69 Camaro ready for for Fred Gibb show this year? I'll be there for sure. Wouldn't miss it!!
Ross

Tenzs

The 69 is not ready, but this 67 RS/SS I just bought is a 4K car, a real 375hp 396 car. Its 18000 orginal mile and a perfict body, with a rare color. Royal Plum. Im in too deep to get the 69 done, Too many projects.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Last year there was a 375hp royal plum Camaro SS convert at the show. A VERY pretty car! I don't think it was an RS but I could be wrong. White interior, I believe. If you are able to make it out, with the 67 or not, let me know!
Ross

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a 67 Chevelle SS MM code paint, Royal Plum, and like the color even though I don't remember any cars that color back then.

Bill

tar6569

I just purchased a 67 RS/SS 396 car, I knew it did not have the orginal engine, but I was told it is a 65 396 from a vette, After long disscussion, we found out it is actually from a 65 Impala, The alt pad reads, T0607IE F289465 , At first we thought the E was a F, and that the 94 meant corvette body, and 65 meant the year. We did not know what the 28 meant, After posting a pic on a corvette site, they determined it was a 425hp 396 from an impala, and 289465 is actually a vin number from a impala. My question is, did they make that many impalas? I know they started the vins with 100000, thats 189465, impalas. just to this one.
The block is standard, and a 4 bolt main, 3855962, with a may build cast date, the heads are 3856208, with a D-15-5 on both, and the intake is 3866963. I cant see the date on it. This engine has never been apart, and is still in the car and running fine. I know where this car has been since 1971, so I know its not tampered with. Thanks for any info in advanced.

Wow. neat engine. Could you post the casting date on the block? Yeah, Flint built the most fullsize chevies in 65. According to my end of month vin list, the last 65 assembled at flint in august was 5F340026 so thats 240,026 cars. The latest car i have seen in person is 5F338892. Coincidentally, I have info from two cars in my database that were very close to the vin on that block. 153115F289439 was a project I looked at and 164375F289482 is a protectoplate I had (don't know where the car is). The body build week for the blocks fits in to be 06B (second week of june) which is perfect.
BTW, I have a protectoplate from another close car 155695F286202 (6cyl belair 4dr) and the engine was assembled on the same date but at the flint engine plant (F0607FM)
One other thing you may find interesting, they didn't built to many 396/425 cars but 5F288793 is also one of them. A biscayne 2dr red/red. I would love to know what that block in your camaro originally came out of.

Warren

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have a 67 Chevelle SS MM code paint, Royal Plum, and like the color even though I don't remember any cars that color back then.

Bill

yes, I remember several of them around here and lower Delaware. Looked good with a blk vinyl top,blk interior
Robert

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Robert

That's the color combination of mine but even though I look for cars the same color I have never seen one in our area. I took it too the Blue Suede Cruise the last time everyone came to Norwalk.

Bill

tar6569

Bill

There actually on all original complete matching numbers 67 chevelles SS396 with bench seat 4spd sitting next to someones house since the early 80's and its royal plum. Would you like me to post a picture of it?

Warren

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Bill

A friend of mines Mom bought one new with the black vinyl top. It was not the SS though but it was the 327 with buckets console and I think it had a powerglide don't quite remember. His mom is gone now and he has the car. It has never sat outside either always has been garaged. Last time I saw the car about 5 years ago I tried to talk him out of it. It still looked beautiful. Neat color.

Tenzs

The Engine still runs and drives great, Its been in this car since 71, and is still very clean, The car has only 18000 org miles, it had 16000 when the engine was put in. Im told it came from a vette, but the numbers say different, Im trying to get more info from the past owners, they are all still local. Heres a pic of the car
67RSss018.jpg

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Nice car

Exactally the car I tried to get my wife into 3 years ago. Big block 4 gear royal plum with black int. Truely gorgeus combo. Makes me weak in the knees!:bow

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
A buddy of mine has a 396/325 with a head casting date 1 25 5 and 1 27 5 and block H 25 5 or H 23 5. It is a little hard to read.Block casting number 3855961. This had deck stamping IVH. If I remember correctly this was fullsize car with 400 turbo trans. Also has vin stamped on it. This motor is complete and all original. Runs like a watch. I wanted to buy it but my wife said no way!:dunno

Tenzs

I guess they are hard to find, definatly hard as a complete engine, Its comming out though, I have a correct engine for the 67, Got to make it right. I have a 63 bel air, Very nice car, but lacking in the horse power range, mabey the 65 396 should go in there.:eek: