1965 409 Headers

348strkr

So what are you 65 guys using for headers. The Edelbrock block hugger looks like it might work. With the angle it has it sould just clear the steering box and linkage.:?:?:? Has anyone modified small block headers, if so how did that work out. My engine should be ready to dyno next month, but Im at a loss as what to use for headers. Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
I modified headers for my 66 Chevelle/409. I initially had them made at a shop that builds headers for race cars but when I swapped in a 4 speed, I had to make a few changes for the Z bar area so I took care of it myself.

If you can weld, you should be able to make any change you need. New tubes are available in 16 or 18 gauge at many auto parts vendors.

The hardest part is the mock up and getting over that first cut you'll do on your headers. :eek: Take your time, mockup, then weld the piece(s) in.

348strkr

I forgot all about the Z bar. I was hoping someone had come up with something that maybe needed just a little modification. My welding skills are none. Thanks

M

monk

I forgot all about the Z bar. I was hoping someone had come up with something that maybe needed just a little modification. My welding skills are none. Thanks

What skills I lack with a welder, I
make up with a grinder

:D

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
65-409 header's

I bought a 65 impala with a 409 and it had the wrong exhaust manifold's they were 64-340 hp manifold's, the previous oner {Mickey moused them in} I looked everywhere with no luck for headers so my only choice was factory exhaust manifolds or to build, mine is a 400hp mild motor so I went with factory one's thank's to Phil Reed I now have a pair. good luck on your project. :cheers Pat

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The good part is they now live in Oregon!:clap

Right on Pat......right on!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap

Sorry Ronnie...........I can't remember where these came from. I know it wasn't Texas!!! My Texas 65 exhaust manifolds ended up on a 69 Camaro project. Those came from the first load about 3 years ago from Texas.

348strkr

65 headers

Are the 1965 stock manifolds 161 and 162 used for both the 340 hp and the 400hp. If not what should I be looking for. Hp on my 348/440 stroker should be in the middle of the two. I really would perfer headers, so if anybody has a pair in the rafters gathering dust:pray Phil

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Are the 1965 stock manifolds 161 and 162 used for both the 340 hp and the 400hp. If not what should I be looking for. Hp on my 348/440 stroker should be in the middle of the two. I really would perfer headers, so if anybody has a pair in the rafters gathering dust:pray Phil

Yes they are the same for both 340HP& 400HP:deal

348strkr

It looks like there is a set of 65 manifolds on ebay now.:clap New seller and no ratings, makes me wonder. :scratchBut I really want them. What to do.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hold your horses!

So what are you 65 guys using for headers. The Edelbrock block hugger looks like it might work. With the angle it has it sould just clear the steering box and linkage.:?:?:? Has anyone modified small block headers, if so how did that work out. My engine should be ready to dyno next month, but Im at a loss as what to use for headers. Thanks

The current Edelbrock headers for the 348-409's are actually patterned after the 62-64 stock 409 high-performance headers, soooooo, with that -- I do not believe they would work well installed in a 409-65 Chevy...

Denis

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hydraulic TOB's are the way to go.

I modified headers for my 66 Chevelle/409. I initially had them made at a shop that builds headers for race cars but when I swapped in a 4 speed, I had to make a few changes for the Z bar area so I took care of it myself.

If you can weld, you should be able to make any change you need. New tubes are available in 16 or 18 gauge at many auto parts vendors.

The hardest part is the mock up and getting over that first cut you'll do on your headers. :eek: Take your time, mockup, then weld the piece(s) in.

Using a hydraulic throw out bearing set up is getting cheaper, and the only way to go when the transistion to a stick-shift gets too complicated...

Denis

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Stock manifold's

I bid on a pair recently on e-bay $700.00 and did not meet reserve, give Phil a call!:dunno