1965 Impala 409/400HP Fuel lines to carburetor

Hello, my name is Chuck Wray. I am a new member to the forum. I have a 1965 Impala 409 SS Convertible with a 409 400HP engine. While largely a very nice car I am trying to sort out a few things that were "mickey moused" over the years. Is there anyone who can shed light on what the the stock fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor as well as the return line is supposed to look like? Currently there is a AC Fuel filter housing (glass bowl) off the back of the carburetor. (3783S) There is very little space for the return line to leave the filter housing. From what I could find searching the web, the filter housing seems to be front of the carburetor but given where the inlet is on the carburetor it seems improbable. So, in summary, hoping someone can shed light on what the stock set up was for 1965 with regard to how the fuel lines were plumbed from the fuel pump, to the filter, to the carburetor and then back to the fuel return. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Is it a chrome steel one piece line from the pump all the way to the filter? Any knowledge on how the fuel return line is routed? A sincere thank you for your quick response. I will look again on show cars website. Thanks!

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but thanks for the pics Bob. This is what I am aiming for on my 63. Now if I could find a 3499 carb. Anyone have an extra? Have a 3783. Would it be functionally correct?

A very sincere thank you to each of you for responding. I very much appreciate the efforts. I am new to this forum but looking forward to contributing where I can. Can any of you shed light as to how the return line was run from the filter housing to the line running along the chassis? There is so little clearance between the outlet and the body of the carburetor... Is there anything supporting the filter housing other than the copper bridge pipe? Are the replacements shorter than original. I suppose lengthening to gain clearance may impact air clean fit? Some of the images show the filter housing on an angle - I am assuming on an angle more clearance between the housing and carburetor can be achieved? Thank you all again. Any further input equally appreciated.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would think the angle is to clear the return line as it's not going to fit against the carb as tight as it is. Looks like I really need to fix my angle when I put return line in.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Assembly Manual has to be one of the great GM assets - it really is quite complete and really helpful, IMHO. If you don’t have one yet, get it ASAP.

Chip
63 425hp

bobs409

Administrator
I just wish I could find what I was looking for when I use it. :D Good to have the shop manuals too. You need the 1961 and supplemental for your year to go with it. (depending on your year; 62 & 63 for sure)

Once again, thank you to everyone who contributed. This information is exactly what I needed. I do have the 1965 Assembly manual but I could find nothing that would help. It should have occurred to me to order a 64 Manual to have as well given so few 409's in 1965. I found the feed line listed on Show cars. They do not appear to have a listing for the return. If I need to fabricate at least I have the attached images. Thanks!

bobs409

Administrator
Once again, thank you to everyone who contributed. This information is exactly what I needed. I do have the 1965 Assembly manual but I could find nothing that would help. It should have occurred to me to order a 64 Manual to have as well given so few 409's in 1965. I found the feed line listed on Show cars. They do not appear to have a listing for the return. If I need to fabricate at least I have the attached images. Thanks!

Chuck, you won't believe this but I have that return line you need and I am not using it so I could sell it. When I bought new repro lines it was sold as a pair. I think I know where it is and I'll see if I can snap a pic later. I can sell it for $35 plus shipping if interested. It's never been used and is chrome with the correct bends. (as far as I can tell) Now the treasure hunt begins... :D