1965 impala convertible chassis same as hardtop chassis?

fastcars

Well Known Member
I keep getting different answers from all kinds of people. I need a new chassis for my 65 convertible and many people keep telling me that the hardtop chassis is exactly the same except for body mounts, is this true? If this is infact true, all I have to do it remove some mounts from the conv chassis and weld them to the hardtop chassis, right? If this info is wrong, what are the difference between them? Thank again everyone.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Frame

My Hollander book shows two different frame numbers . One for the 65 convert ( 1211 )and for all others (1214 ) . It also shows a different number for the convert for the 66 model year (1213). I tried to cross reference the 65 number with all other GM s for that year and your out of luck . It seems that the 65 convert is in and of it's self. From what I understand , the convert frame is heavyer built. I alway thought the mounts were in the same place but thicker steel and more gussets. Good luck in your search.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am not the most familiar with that year impala, but I am very involved with GM A-body convertibles, (Chevelle, GTO, 442, GS, etc...) The convertible frames for the A-body cars are a boxed frame for strength. I would assume that that would be true of the full size cars as well. I believe you could use a frame from a hardtop, but you should have it boxed to keep the rigidity of the car. And you may possibly have different or more body mounts with a convertible. Hope this helps some.

Merry Christmas.

Todd :cheers

ss63

I had the same issue but mine was a 63.I have learn that the frames are the same but the convertibles have a strip of heavy-gage metal reinforcement welded along the top and bottom of the side rails.My 63 also has two extra sets os body mounts.I strongly believe the same will be whith yours.I hope this info. will be usefull for you.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
They're Different!

HT and Convertible frames for '65 are not directly interchangable. You would have to significantly modify the HT frame. ALSO the '66 is a better design in both venues. I would replace with a '66 conv frame if you can find one. I heard recently that Impala Bob's is trying to sell off all his old frames...Try them ! Arizona rust free metal. :cool:

Skim

Well Known Member
I had the same issue but mine was a 63.I have learn that the frames are the same but the convertibles have a strip of heavy-gage metal reinforcement welded along the top and bottom of the side rails.My 63 also has two extra sets os body mounts.I strongly believe the same will be whith yours.I hope this info. will be usefull for you.

Actually on your car there are 4 extra mounts, 2 up front and 2 towards the rear both located under the main floor braces. On my 61 conv. I used a box frame from a 4 door, added the 4 extra mounts and fully reinforced it.

As for a 65 Im not sure of the diffences I only know them on an X frame but I will ask my buddy David and find out for you.

62BillT

Well Known Member
To add a little extra, the frames are somewhat different and should not be interchanged. The Convertible frames on a '65 also have more mounts. They are also stronger. Not sure exactly how, but I do know that a Convertible Cross Member is shorter than a HT one.

Bill