1965 Truck Block

Impala 65

Supporting Member 1
G'day guys

I may have got onto a block - the guy reckons its a 1965 truck block with standard bore for about $2000 Aussie (US $1500) the guy lives in a place called Glen Innis about 7 or 8 hours from Sydney but unfortunately he is travelling around Aussie for the next few months. I have his number so will try to nail him down on it if it checks out. He also has a 409 Bubble top - don't know exactly what year and a 6cyl 1960 Sedan Delivery he wants $15000 Aussie for

Questions - is the 65 truck block a good base for a stroker and how do I tell thats its what he said it is - what numbers etc.

Rock - you're right we do drive on the wrong side here - my 65 has been converted - when I bought it the LHD steering box had been moved across in what was a pretty rough conversion but I welded in some RHD chassis parts we cut from a wrecked Australian assembled car and used the wrecks RHD steering box and drag link etc. - worked well until we took the car of the road. There were quite a few Aussie assembled Chevys - nearly all 4 door as far as I know. Any coupes convertibles etc are recent imports or prively imported years ago

Ronnie I hit my mate on the head like you said but he just hit me back - can't seem to get a 409 that way - might have to try more conventional methods. My missus is a little worried about the "staggering" cost comment - still she said we would only be spending the kids inheritance so keep looking into it.

Can any one tell me what the LWA heads are like - aside from expensive - are they worth the money - or how are they are going with the 690 heads that are being repoduced is there a way I can email the guy thats making them.

Thanks for the welcome replys to the first post - bye for now

Karl

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Karl, Evidently , you didnt whack him hard enough. A mild concussion would have given you enough time. However if you insist on doing it legally....... $1500 is double what a decent truck block costs in the U.S. at this time. To me , that is "staggering". Dont know if that is a good price over there are not. #656 is the truck casting no. (last 3 nos,) I dont know about the other guys, but I prefer the truck block, when date codes dont matter. The LWA heads , at this time, are probably best, but I dont think they would make a good "street" head. If a truck block sells for $1500 over there, I would hate to guesss what 690s go for. Are they even available? I applaud your desire to move forward with this project. Besides, the kids can get out there and make their own fortune. My wife shops with coupons and wears old clothes and I spend our meager income on cars and motors. Just as it should be.