1969 Talladega Races Question

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I realize there are several of us old timer NASCAR fans on here....so here is my question. A friend of mine and I watched the muscle car show last night on Smokey Yunick's number 13 Camaro that Mr. Edelbrock now owns. We were at the Saturday 1969 inaugural Talladega Grand American race when Bunky Blackburn qualified Smokeys gold/black Mustang 13 MPH faster then 2nd place. :eek: He ran approximately half the race and just pulled it into the garage area then they loaded it. The car was running and we never got an "honest" answer as to why they pulled it in. They did the same thing with the Camaro that Edelbrock has at Riverside.
What was going on???
Oh... Richard Brickhouse won the Sunday race in a winged Dodge because the PDA boycotted the race. Anyone remember that one also?
robert

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Robert:

I hope someone can answer your question, I would like to know too. I only followed the Grand National series----now called the "Cup" series. Smokey Yunick's books may offer a clue but it's been at least 5 years since I've looked at them and mine are packed away in a storage facility. As much as I admire Smokey Yunick, in my opinion, he did not always tell the truth or the whole story. For example: Smokey has stated the Mk II 427 engines raced at the '63 Daytona 500 all came through him. I know for a fact the Rex White, and Junior Johnson teams received their engines directly from Chevrolet.

Rick

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Robert,
This has been many years ago but maybe I can shed a little light on what you are talking about. As I remember, there were times that Smokey was seriously racing and other times he was doing R&D work. The scenario that you are referring too happened more than once and there were times when he would show up at the track with no intention of actually racing. I was involved with one such encounter. We were at the fall race in Charlotte in 1965, I was trying to get in the race with a '64 Pontiac, Smokey was there with a '65 Impala (the usual black and gold # 13). In those days, on the super speedways they ran 4 qualifing laps and they qualified on two days, usually on Thursday and Friday. Smokey had Bobby Johns driving his car and they qualified on the first day and they were either on the pole or on the outside of the front row, can't remember but Smokey wouldn't accept the time because it wasn't a track record. He planned to try again on Friday to set a new record. Meanwhile, I've got this old Pontiac that we had basicly destoryed at Daytona I'm trying to get it through inspection and we spent Thursday and Friday in the frame shop there at the speedway. Qualifing is going to be cut off at 4:30 Friday afternoon and I get in line to go out to qualify with 0 practice laps and Smokey waits until the last car gets in line which is me, then Bobby Johns rolls out behind me. I get on the track just before the 4:30 deadline and don't run fast enough to make the race. Bobby doesn't get to go out becasue the time ran out. I felt really bad that Bobby didn't get to go out so I went over to Smokey and told him I was sorry that I took up the last spot out which caused him not to get out. Smokey just shrugged his shoulders and said don't worry about it, I wasn't going to race on Sunday anyway, we were just trying to set a track speed record. With that, they pulled out and headed back to Daytona.
BTW....Smokey didn't have a crew, just him and Bobby flat towing the car with a tow bar behind a black '65 Impala. They 4 extra tires in the trunk of the race car and a tool box in the trunk of the tow car, that's all they had.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Jim & Tom: Thanks guys. Jim...that article describes the car as I remember it and the rocker would explain why it was running as he turned into the garage entrance in front of us. I really believe this was another episode of not there to race but as Tommy said to do "R&D" work. But damn did that car smoke the field that day. Sort of like what Bill Elliott did years later at Talladega when he had the bad power steering fitting early and ran the field down TWICE:eek: Man the power that was unleased from from that Thunderbird that afternoon was awsum:eek: :eek:
again.... thanks guys:cheers :cheers
robert