1980 Chevy 305, anything worth saving?

bobs409

Administrator
As the title says, it's a 1980 305 from a Chevy van. Is anything inside like rods, cranks or ??? worth anything?

Runs strong but does smoke a bit. Figure most of it has no value but maybe some parts interchange with 350's or ???

Thanks,

Bob

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
everything swaps to a 350:cool: except the block:crazy
the heads will have small valves.

I built a few in the late 80s. I like em. If you got one and don't have a 350, That's what I'd build (build what you got)

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, I didn't know that. Good deal then. Need anything? :D

Just to mention, this thing seems quite peppy! I never did get to drive it on the street but it's got very good response to it. Didn't expect that from a 305 but maybe I'm thinking of a 307.

Thanks. :cheers

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
All of the Monte Carlo SS cars had the 305 motor with the electric quadrajet carb. Ran fine for a street car. All depends on what you feel you will need to get down the road.:dunno Leo

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the offer Bob. I think I have my share SBC
(400, 3-350, 2-327, 283, 305, plus parts):doh

An 85 Monte SS is one I worked on for a buddy of mine. Love those Monte SS s Been think about buying one.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some Spec Motor Class Trucks Run 305

Up here in New England the All American Truck Series runs 305'. They get 300 plus HP out of them. Good luck selling If you looking to save a motor your 307 is one of my favorite everyday street motors.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazy Back in the day,we used to take a stock 307,replace the heads with 283 "power-pack"or 275 hp 327 heads,put in 350 hp-327 cam,a 4 bbl.intake and carb,and headers.Dont know what the hp numbers were,but man did it wake that thing up.:eek:Today,I'd use a set of vortec heads from a 96 or later 305[smaller chamber,but bigger than stock 307 intake valves,]Professional Products intake,and a comp cams extreme energy 262and small tube headers.This set-up would b worth about 125 hp over the stock 307[or 305 for that matter]:deal

bobs409

Administrator
I'm starting to get a stock pile of spare engines. I have (2) 307's, (1) 305 and (2) 350's. (will be 3 after the 454 goes into the truck) No wonder I'm running out of room. :D

Thinking of stripping them down and selling parts from them.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A few years back, Chey High Performance did a 305 build...I have the mag somewhere in my stash.
If anybody likes the 305, I have a complete engine/trans from an 83 Z28 Camaro, complete with crossram injection, all accessories aircleaner to pan to trans.......cheap. Come get it.:deal

482STROKER

Well Known Member
my 1979 sw truck was built with a 305, got over 225000 miles on it before I went with a 350, never had to go inside that engine for any repairs, the engine still ran fine but struggled going over the coast range pulling a 7X16 enclosed trailer with 3 quads in it, the 305 has been sitting in the garage for 5 or 6 years, just can't bring myself to give it to the scrap man, Steve