2004 avalanche 5.3 long block

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello All,

Spun a roller rocker in my 2004 Avalanche. The motor has high mileage 5.3 vortec any company recommendation's for purchasing and long block?

I already have prices from Advance and O'Reily.

Happy Motoring!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ted

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Why not grab a used engine from a salvage dealer? Their warehouses are full of engines removed from accident carcasses and they can't sell because of low demand. My buddy bought a complete all aluminum 60,000 mile 5.3 for $1500 recently. I have also seen these engines on craigslist in the $500 to $800 range.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why not grab a used engine from a salvage dealer? Their warehouses are full of engines removed from accident carcasses and they can't sell because of low demand. My buddy bought a complete all aluminum 60,000 mile 5.3 for $1500 recently. I have also seen these engines on craigslist in the $500 to $800 range.
Thanks, I can get them here also, but for 1900.00 for a long block and 3 years warranty unlimited miles and new I would rather spend the little extra money and have new.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks, I can get them here also, but for 1900.00 for a long block and 3 years warranty unlimited miles and new I would rather spend the little extra money and have new.

Reminds me if the used engine I put in a truck a long time ago. Used 3 quarts of oil first time out....rear main leaking. Got practice putting in another engine. Junkyards are good that way.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Reminds me if the used engine I put in a truck a long time ago. Used 3 quarts of oil first time out....rear main leaking. Got practice putting in another engine. Junkyards are good that way.

You hit the nail on the button, 30-40 years ago first I did not have the funds for new so the junkyard it was and got plenty of that swapping in it and out practice.

Even my W Motors are cranked in a stand cam broke in, leaked checked and valves adjusted before the install these days I only want too do it once.

At least that's what this body tells me :doh

Happy Motoring!!!!!!

Thanks Ted

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was cleaning the Avalanche Saturday, getting ready to puchase a new long block and my wife comes outside. She asked me do you really want to fix the Avalanche or what do you really like. I said you know a Crewcab Silverado.

So I finish up outside and come in the house to clean up. And she's on the internet looking at Silverado's. And showing me what she's found, so on Sunday, we go looking at Silverado's and we puchased a new set of shoes less than used 2014-2015's.

So now I can continue my seach for a clean 1960 Biscyane and the new 814 W motor project :drinking and let someone else have fun with the Avalanche and sell it :brow

Happy Motoring!!!!

Ted

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 16