2023 Iowa Tri-State Raceway September 30-October 1. WALLYS ON SUNDAY

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My third pass on a new hot rod, I turned up the fuel pressure from 6# to 8.5# let tires down to just under 8#. I don't have a transmission brake, foot brake to 3500/ 4000 and floor it! I shifted to second @6500 and into 3rd at 6700. As soon as I hit 3rd it shook, vibrated and I went to neutral and the engine died. I coasted through the rest of the 1320 and still ran 11.750 at 118.16 ... this is very incourging, to coast through 3rd with that mph and et is interesting. I restarted the car right up but wouldn't move below 6,000+rpm. I'm having a TH 400 full racing transmission with a reverse manual valve body and a brake. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can go back to the track. Also need a gear change to 4.56/4.88 and a new set of 31x14 15's a shock upgrade is in order too. More soon! Thanks for all the kind words and interest!!! I really appreciate it and all of you!!!20230930_160347.jpg

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I'd like to thank everyone for coming. I didn't hear any complaints and believe the 3 young Fangman Brothers that are leasing the track did a great job. I mostly dealt with Alex prior to arriving at the track. Then Friday afternoon I spent some time speaking with Alex and Ryan. They were great communicators and did everything just as they said...a trait that is hard to find in today's world. They stopped by several times during the day to make sure things were going smoothly. Clean restrooms, good food at the snack bar, and no long waits in the staging lanes. The track staff were also great as far as I know. They gave us back 80 percent of the entry fee also.

It got 15 to 20 degrees warmer than usual on Saturday. When we started time trials and were down to 15 cars. We had two time trials and the best reaction time paid $500. Bryan Fugate won that with a .019 There was a total of $4,000 put up by Jack Gibbs, 409 Chevy Performance, Murphy's Motor Service, Jeff Asbury, and a couple of anonymous sponsors. Lunch was catered by Merchant Grilling. Made rites, beans, potato salad, and pop.

In the eliminations Barry and Hard Rock were winners of the semi's and Bryan and Scott battled it out again for the title. Bryan inched out Scott for the win. Last year at Cedar Falls it was Scott 1st and Bryan second.

One of the highlights of the weekend was on Sunday. A few of the guys got in races for a Wally and went a couple of rounds. Jerry Kuenster in the 59 El Camino had finished in 3rd place the last 3 years. Some of us stuck around and watched him win his Wally with the 409 powered El Camino that Charlie paid $25 for. I think in the finals Jerry had a .003 light and the other guy had .009....Jerry broke out , but the other guy broke out more.......great race...Great driving Hard Rock.

It was Great racing with Great people at a Great track.....IMO

Later
Dave

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd like to thank everyone for coming. I didn't hear any complaints and believe the 3 young Fangman Brothers that are leasing the track did a great job. I mostly dealt with Alex prior to arriving at the track. Then Friday afternoon I spent some time meeting and speaking with Alex and Ryan. They were great communicators and did everything just as they said...a trait that is hard to find in today's world. Clean restrooms, good food at the snack bar, and no long waits in the staging lanes. The track staff were also great as far as I know. They gave us back 80 percent of the entry fee also.

It got 15 to 20 degrees warmer than usual on Saturday. When we started time trials and were down to 15 cars. We had two time trials and the best reaction time paid $500. Bryan Fugate won that with a .019 There was a total of $4,000 put up by Jack Gibbs, 409 Chevy Performance, Murphy's Motor Service, Jeff Asbury, and a couple of anonymous sponsors. Lunch was catered by Merchant Grilling. Made rites, beans, potato salad, and pop.

In the eliminations Barry and Hard Rock were winners of the semi's and Bryan and Scott battled it out again for the title. Bryan inched out Scott for the win. Last year at Cedar Falls it was Scott 1st and Bryan second.

It was Great racing with Great people at a Great track.....IMO

Later
Dave
All was spectacular Dave, even your leadership! Looking forward to another race soon. Worth every second of the thrashing...
I finally got to Burn a tire with all the 409 gang :), Tooth.