235 vs. 409 Clutch Z Bar????

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
Hello, I need some more expertise in this matter, due to my lack of experience. We are pulling out a 235 6 cyl., with a 3 speed stick, and inserting a 409 with a 4 speed. That's our plan anyhow. What kind of parts changing is needed for the clutch linkage? I looked at a picture of a V-8 Z Bar, and it does look different than ours on the six. Will I need the V-8 Z Bar frame bracket, also??? I read somewhere that the factory ones were spot welded on the frame? I guess I'll need a ball stud on each end of the Z Bar also. Thanks, a bunch, Guys, for any helpful info. I know Camaros, but not so much on these older Chebbies. Thanks!:dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
60biscayne, It would depend on the V8 bellhousing (throw-out bearing fork) that you have for th e swap. The best way to attack this swap, would be to call Phil Reed and explain what you are doing and the parts you have on hand. He can advise and supply the parts you need. Saves a lot of time looking and wondering if you have forgotten something. I assume you have V8 frame mounts to replace the 6 cyl mounts with. Good luck