24V71 Detroit

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
3424HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:roll:roll:roll

Let's build 4 for starters...............Bob Walker gets one for his new boat, Ronnie gets one for his golf cart, I'll take one for a new motorcycle frame and the last one goes to Cecil for his airplane!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap We'll all meet at Thompson!!!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Actually

And I thought my 409 had torque!:bow:bow:bow

Detroits aren't noted for their torque..........not sure about this one. They are 2 cycle and turn about 2250 rpm if i remember correctly. That sure is lots of HP and she is shinney. Stock cubic inch of that motor would be 1704 btw.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Detroits aren't noted for their torque..........not sure about this one. They are 2 cycle and turn about 2250 rpm if i remember correctly. That sure is lots of HP and she is shinney. Stock cubic inch of that motor would be 1704 btw.
Dave it may be shiney now but besides minimal torque those ole V71 series are also famous for "slobbering" and drooling. I have been around 12V71's but not 24's
robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Robert

Dave it may be shiney now but besides minimal torque those ole V71 series are also famous for "slobbering" and drooling. I have been around 12V71's but not 24's
robert

I've had 3-71s, 4-71s, 6-71s, and a V6-71. I've also had a V6-92 series and some 53 series. 2-53, 3-53, 4-53, and v6-53. You hit the nail on the head about the oil leaks. The inline series didn't leak much, but all the v series were noted for leaks, espically the 8V-71....the old 318 Detroit.:cool::dunno:crazy

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave that is a term I haven't heard in many years "318 Detroit" Yes the inline's were dryer. Hey did you ever have one or two that "ran away" with you!:roll:roll
robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
No

Dave that is a term I haven't heard in many years "318 Detroit" Yes the inline's were dryer. Hey did you ever have one or two that "ran away" with you!:roll:roll
robert

But i know what you mean. I've had them run backwards though.:cool::cool::dunno:dunno When that happens you have lots of gears to back up and only one for foreward. You also lose oil pressure. For non-detroit people, what robert and i are saying is actually the truth.:eek::clap:?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was always taught by the "old timers",yes Phil now I am one:D that the little spring damper on the intake side of the blower was your best friend in an emergency, backwards running and runaways so always make sure it wasn't full of oil sludge so that it would drop.
robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Blower Spring

Right on Robert. Some times that spring would not hold and the flap would close on the blower cutting the air off. Man those engines would smoke and have no power................guys driving the truck thought something bad happened.:roll:roll Best thing about the detroits was that the family 53 series, 71 series, 92 series, all had the same injectors, pistons, valves, rods, fuel pump, water pump, ect within that particular series. Also the detroit fuel system was easy to work on.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave actually they probably were the first family of modular motors because of interchangeability but not in the sound. There is something about the old sound of a 6V71 in an old 6 wheel dumptruck with large injectors.
robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Oh Oh

Dave actually they probably were the first family of modular motors because of interchangeability but not in the sound. There is something about the old sound of a 6V71 in an old 6 wheel dumptruck with large injectors.
robert

While i am hijacking this post, how about the 110 series???:dunno:dunno:bow:bow

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The 60 series were decent motors. Not as good as a Cat. Never had a Detroit run away on me, but had heard of it. The early Detroits sound good at full song.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had a customer call me about his 425 Cat. It was running real smooth, smoking out of the air cleaner and had no oil pressure.I told him it had been running backwards. :roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I had heard and read about old 425's backwards but never saw one around here do it. There were and probably still are a few in commercial workboats. The Detroit 110's & 149's around here were only in some of the smaller tugs that pushed grain barges or smaller oil barges. They had an interesting sound going upstream in the middle of a summer night with all deck doors open while it was generally quiet. They were screaming compared to the Empire's that were in the larger tugs, I guess the memories of those old 2 cycles are to me what a 9 or 13 cylinder radial is to Cecil.
Robin

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My only experience with diesels were the twin 8 cylinder inline Cooper-Besemers in the ship I was on. Those things were huge and could run backwards. One of the other guys in the engineroom crew was skinny enough to fit in the bore of one cylinder. I used to have a piston that we removed from one that I gave to my Dad and he used it as a water dish for his farm animals.:coffee:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The grain mill in town had a two cylinder Fairbanks and I remember a piston and connecting rod that came out of it:eek::eek:
robert