2811 cooling holes question

414chevy

I have a 2811 block and its says that you can only use 2791 heads with that block. Is this because the block does not have the cooling holes for the spark plugs. If so couldn't you take a head gasket and mark where the cooling holes are and take the block to a machine shop to get the cooling holes drilled so you could use other heads?

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
I had a pair of 333 heads fixed to fit a pre 60 block that did not have the cooling holes.
The machine shop drilled and tapped and installed soft plugs that were shaved off flush with machined surface.
They work fine.
You can plug the newer heads to work but you cannot open the block as there is no casting in that area.
Another interesting fact about the pre 60 blocks is that you can only use a rope rear main seal. The blocks that were cast after 1960 had the cooloing ports and were cast different to recieve the modern neopreme rear main seal.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
414chevy, Some of those early blocks did have the provisions for the water cooled plug heads. You'll have to check your block. If you have the pads cast in, then you can simply drill the holes. (you could do this yourself) But if you don't, then you'll have to do as dunhamfield stated. Good luck.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
this block?

If your block looks like this, you cannot drill holes. Plug the head. If it has the pad for the hole, just center punch from the gasket as a reference, and drill the hole into the water jacket. I did it myself on mine with a hand drill.

Attachments

• earlyblock.jpg
    earlyblock.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 53