283 question

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
i have a 65 that i'm restoring my question is when i bought this car it did'nt come with either a fan shroud or the spacer that goes between the radiator and frame
did these cars with a 283 come with both? or just one. shroud or spacer?

M

MK IISS

As I remember it, '65 283s without a/c and/or the heavy duty cooling option (RPO V01) did not have a fan shroud or a clutch fan. However I thought they would then have a spacer to bring the fan closer to the radiator ? ?

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

Both 65 and 66 with a the small block came with a spacer to move the rad. closer to the fan. And that's the truth, I have two of them.:roll

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
thanks for your fast reply ggod info i was wondering though if it would be all right
to install both the spacer and the shroud i live in hawaii and it can get pretty hot here

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Trade places???????????

I'll tell you what. I don't have an answer to your question, but I will trade you places. You leave the 65 there for me, and you can have the 63 that's here. What part of Kauai are you in? Have been all over it by helicopter. Beautiful place. Sure do miss it.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Fred,
I'll bet you've flown up the Waimea Canyon then. I did it many times in the old WhisperHerc (C-130). Great fun, beautiful place.
:) :) :)

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kauai by copter

Yeah, have been up the canyon and into the volcano. The only times I have ever been in a copter. Being a fixed wing pilot, they amaze me. Like flying through clouds over a ridge line. Would never do that in my old plane. They just slow down to 20-30 MPH and ease through. Have been to Kauai 4 times. Never enough. Most laid back place I have ever been. Will never forget, in 1988 flew the island with an old Hawaiian pilot. He had been a pilot in Nam, I think. He wore no shoes. Asked him why. He replied that he wasn't walking back from any flight. So he didn't wear shoes as a lucky charm. The copter was to bring him back, not his feet. Seemed like a lot of people knew him from that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't remember what copter service he was with, but the one Rickiie mentioned sounds familiar. Quite a ride.