3-Speed Column to 4-Speed Column

409Biscayne

Well Known Member
I have a 1962 Biscayne with a three-speed manual shift steering column. I would like to convert the column to look like a 4-speed column. I am sure that this has been done by someone before and I am interested to know if there are any lessons learned that can be passed on to avoid problems.

Thanks,
Chad

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Chad,I'm sure it could be done but reverse might be an issue.Also speed shifting could be iffy at best.I suppose one could mount an overdrive pull handle and cable under the dash hooked up to the reverse lever.That would really mess up most of todays millenial car theives wouldn't it????:mock:laugh:laugh

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think he means appearance. You can never really make it look like one in a way that undetectable. There seems to be quite a few floor shift columns for sale.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
When I first saw this post I thought you might be trying to setup a four speed column-shifter (i.e., Four-on-the-tree") :).

I've cut down several "three-on-the-tree" or "automatic" columns down, hard to get them to look factory correct under the hood but easy to "tidy up" the inside column. Just take the steering wheel and column apart and grind off the nub from the column shifter and fill that (and the PRNDL fastener holes if it's an automatic) with a good metal filler and sand/prime/paint the column pieces while it's apart.

I was lucky with my SS car, Jack Gibbs had a four speed column for that one. I cheaped out on the others, just made the smooth column after cutting the nubs off. You can tell my conversions aren't correct, as you can spot the remaining hardware at the end of the column.

Good luck! TomK

409Biscayne

Well Known Member
Thanks for the great replies. I am concerned about appearance only, the car was a 6-cylinder, three-speed car that is now a 4-speed. Looking at the factory manual, my impression was that it could be disassembled to remove the 3-speed parts but wanted to be sure.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If the column is similar to those found in say a 67-72 Chevy truck, and you don’t have a floor shift replacement column, it can be made to look like one. The wheel can be pulled along with The turn signal assembly to get to the collar into which the shift lever fits. Remove the lever (there is a pin) and twist a partial turn and pull out the collar. Find a floor shift collar, paint it to match and reassemble. The shift ears protruding I the engine bay could be cut off . Cleanest way is to replace the column, but a 4 speed column may not be available.