3-Speed Gear Ratios?

62BillT

Well Known Member
Trying to find out the gear ratios on '58 to '64 regular 3-Speed transmissions, original for a 6 cylinder car.

Any info would be appreciated.

gear ratios

If memory serves me right the stick rears were 3.36s and the automatic rears were 3.55s. The auots were lower because of the high 1st gear in the powerglide. Steve

62BillT

Well Known Member
Appreciate the reply, but I'm trying to find out the ratios on the transmission gears, especially what 1st gear is.

I did a little research and believe the old short tail, non synchro 3-Speeds are Muncie SM 318's.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Gear Ratio......

62BillT; I found an old Hot Rod mag. It lists a Saginaw 3-spd. at 2.85 1st gear, and a Borg Warner with a 2.94 1st gear ratio. The article claims the Borg Warner was used in some Chevy 6 cyl. Doesn't say what models they were.:doh Skip:)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Trying to find out the gear ratios on '58 to '64 regular 3-Speed transmissions, original for a 6 cylinder car.

Any info would be appreciated.

According to CBN the low perf Saginaw 3spd in 6 cyl would be 2.94 in first and 1.68 in second. Hope this helps.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
for saginaw transmission

count the line notches on the input shaft

-0 Line 2.85/1.68/1.00

-1 Line 2.54/1.50/1.00

-2 Line 3.11/1.84/1.00

-3 Line 3.50/1.89/1.00

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trans ratio

There was also a 3speed close ratio 2.20 first cant remember 2nd.:)

62BillT

Well Known Member
Appreciate all the replies.

Y'all helped to get the info I was looking for. Thanks again.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Who WON????

Cecil: What was your prize?:brow :roll :roll Did you win a set of 690 heads?:brow :clap :bow Yea, I know...:stooges

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil: What was your prize?:brow :roll :roll Did you win a set of 690 heads?:brow :clap :bow Yea, I know...:stooges

Nah, I think I won the choice of a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a free audit by those nice folks at the IRS. At least that would be consistent with my success at the lottery.:roll