302 Z28/SBC combos

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
A buddy is building a 69 Z28 and wants to keep it a 302. Steel crank decent rods, camel hump heads, factory intake.Probaby get some headers.Any body have cam suggestions other than factory they have used? Wants to sound like factory solid but pull to 7000. Small street solid roller would even be OK.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip,I think that a Lunati flat tappet#30120740 would be a good choice for a 302 with a 4 speed,and4.11 gears.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I kind of think that if you're building a clone/or restoring a real Z28 and sticking with a 302 that it would be best to stay with a factory blueprint cam otherwise build a bigger engine for better results

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I ran the GM HiPo service cam and the brown springs in my 68 302. Going to need a 4:56 gear to drive it around though. Just getting started at 7,000.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The original cam ran great if were over 3500 RPM, below that it is somewhat sluggish. I'm sure there are better cams that would give you a similar idle.

Bill

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can always reach out to a cam builder and get a custom grind. I think all the cam companies have an online questionnaire which can be filled out to get a cam which will precisely meet specific needs.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Typical Hemmings advertiser, that intake was an option. The car came standard with a high rise and Holley.

Bill

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Over $30,000 for only the intake and carb? Holy :cuss
I thought 348/409 items were pricey!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Offy crossram is nearly identical to the GM one used on the 302's. I could be wrong, but I think Offenhauser built them for GM only with the GM casting #, snowflake, etc. in place of Offy's logo and part number. Again I could be wrong and don't want to spread misinformation, but after looking at detailed pictures of GM crossrams and comparing them to the Offy that I had (now belongs to TomK) I think they are the same casting.
From what I remember the crossram was an option and would come in the trunk ..... and that they did the same thing with factory optioned headers. Again, could be wrong as I'm no Z28 expert for sure.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Offy crossram is nearly identical to the GM one used on the 302's. I could be wrong, but I think Offenhauser built them for GM only with the GM casting #, snowflake, etc. in place of Offy's logo and part number. Again I could be wrong and don't want to spread misinformation, but after looking at detailed pictures of GM crossrams and comparing them to the Offy that I had (now belongs to TomK) I think they are the same casting.
From what I remember the crossram was an option and would come in the trunk ..... and that they did the same thing with factory optioned headers. Again, could be wrong as I'm no Z28 expert for sure.

The "snowflake" was a Winters Foundry trademark.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
The "camel hump" heads are a restriction. A solid roller would be great. Run rocker girdles if he wants to spin 7000+ often. I would think something in the 235-245 range intake duration @ .050 and 250ish on the exhaust. Keep it under .600 lift, with slightly less lift on the exhaust. Use 1.5 rockers. Basically the smallest solid roller you can find. I would prefer a 112-114 lobe separation, they might only grind it on a 108-110. Something early intake opening, say 105 to help with the low end power a bit but still run hard up top. Maybe even get a fully adjustable cam gear to play with the intake opening. On an engine that small it will make a difference.

Thats my .02 and along the lines of what I would do. I would also make it a 14-1 motor on E-85, but thats me.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What kind of gear in the Z? I ran a 4:56 with F60 tires on my 68 back in the day. Best thing to do to that 302 is 3.75 crank. Nobody will ever see it. Might add a hundred HP. Otherwise you still have a small engine that has to rev. to get the power up.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with Mike. No one would ever know if you were to build it with more stroke. Even if it were just a small change to 3.25" (327) it would help out in the torque and driveability department. You could make it look period correct or even 100% restored on the outside...down to numbers matching block/heads and still have more cubic inches and power. The ONLY reason Chevy built them with a 4" bore & 3" stroke was the rules for the race series.