315 Hp 283

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I was reading an article in an old Hot Rod mag about the 315-HP Fuelie 283 that was produced for Corvettes in 1961.

Using the "461X" heads and a fairly wild solid-lifter cam, it strikes me as being similar to the later Z-28 302 as far as the state of tune and perfomance goes.

Has anyone here ever worked on or drove one? How well did it run? One of my old pipe-dreams was to drop one in a '61 Bel Air or Impala, as a "what if?" sort of factory-style hot rod. I wouldn't do that now, for fear of a future owner passing it off as authentic. Well, that and the fact that it would be pretty difficult to come up with the engine!

Then again, making a big car go fast is a job best left to a W-motor. :)

M

MK IISS

There was one in my area. It was set up for racing with 4.56 gears, the "big brake" package, etc. I was riding in Bob Olsen's new 406 Ford when Bob outran the Vette two out of three one evening. Maybe the Vette was just off that night.

I belive the 283/315 head was the first larger valve 1.94/1.50 production small block head.

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
283-315

Richard, I think the Vette must have been a little off that night. Back in high school my little 301 had 406's and 409's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I love the W's but don't let a little mouse fool ya.

M

MK IISS

Rusty: I believe the Corvette was tractionally challenged that night but it did get beat.

I found a '61 Corvette 283/315 road test by Road and Track Magazine but couldn't get the link to work.

0-30 3.1
0-40 4.2
0-50 5.1
0-60 6.6
0-70 7.5
0-80 9.6
0-100 14.5

1/4 mile 14.2 @ 98 mph

playswithcars

Well Known Member
My experience with high revving small blocks dates by to 1968 with a Z28 Camaro which we changed the rear to a 4.56 (from 3.73) to get better strip performance. On the street, it had absolutely no pulling torque under 4000 rpm but once into it's range, would pull strongly to 7500 rpm. Upgrading to the cross ram intake (dual Holley carbs) and the off road camshaft/springs, extended the range to 8500 rpm. Street racing (drag) was tricky as all the big block cars with tons of torque would usually pull the 302 in first gear but then we would go by in second or third and just keep pulling. :cheers However, I always preferred big block cars because the feel of all the low to mid range torque just plain kicks ***. :)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
However, I always preferred big block cars because the feel of all the low to mid range torque just plain kicks ***. :)

I agree but,,,,,,,,,

The sound of a super quick revving SB spinning past 8 grand makes me hard !!!of hearing that is:eek:

For the new guys I`ll mention my buddies 283 powered 35 Chevy PU launching at 7500 and shifting at 9500 !!!! NOW THAT A SWEET SOUND !!!!

Attachments

• Resize of Brians 35.jpg
    Resize of Brians 35.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 98

FS560

Well Known Member
A 67 427/435 but with 850 DP and Hooker side mounts being shifted on the wood at 7200 has a nice tone also.