327 IN A 1963 NOVA SS

Charlie Dawson

Supporting Member 6
Hi, Charlie Dawson here.
Ihave purchased a 1963 Chevy NOVA with a 194 6 cylinder, 3 speed. I have a 327/300 HP that I want to install and I would like to keep the NOVA as stock as possible, ie I did not want to swap out the entire front clip to accomodate a big block.
I know I need to beef up the front end..does anyone know exactly what needs to be changed. Does anyone know of any supply houses that will have the needed parts.

Thanks, Charlie

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Charlie,You'll only need to change out the front springs.The 64-67 v8 w/a/c springs should work fine here.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Because Chevy offered the 327 as a dealer installed kit, it is a pretty common upgrade. GM used a special block casting for the Nova installation that raised the oil filter mount pad several inches higher on the block (to clear the clutch linkage I believe). Guys get around this filter issue by either using a hydraulic clutch or a remote oil filter. Good luck. Leo

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The factory oil pan,oil pump pick up,and oil pump were different too [front sump],but I've seen the standard oil pan modified to work just fine.It will be a simplier swap if you go with an automatic transmission.The factory Chevy II's also had the mount for the clutch cross shaft in a different location.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Charlie, also in the March 1962 Hot Rod there is an article on the swap using parts straight from the dealer. Even though Chevy doesn't have the parts, the article has great pictures and a list of all the areas that need addressed.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a friend that was with me at the Columbia swap meet and he has the Nova V8 oil pan, oil pump pickup, and dipstick and tube. I think he was wanting $125 for everything. If it's something you need...let me know.

Charlie Dawson

Supporting Member 6
I have a friend that was with me at the Columbia swap meet and he has the Nova V8 oil pan, oil pump pickup, and dipstick and tube. I think he was wanting $125 for everything. If it's something you need...let me know.

Phil, Thanks but I purchased the conversion V8 Kit from Chevy 2 Only. It was the easy way to make sure I had everything I need without looking all over for individual parts. I also bought the front disc brakes kit to beef up the front end.
Thanks, Charlie

smithd7

Well Known Member
Phil, Thanks but I purchased the conversion V8 Kit from Chevy 2 Only. It was the easy way to make sure I had everything I need without looking all over for individual parts. I also bought the front disc brakes kit to beef up the front end.
Thanks, Charlie

It's really a good idea to change out your A arms to the tubular type,really made a difference on my '63