327 rebuld engine

super sport

Well Known Member
My 327 in my 64 impala with a powerglide is not responding fast enough when i give it gas , could it be the timeing of the engine not right ? What can i do to improve the acceleration when i give it gas . I feel it takes a while for it to pick up speed .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Put a 409 in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazyGo over the tune up,compression test,check the timing chain and carb and let's see what we're working with here.Is it a 250,or 300 horse engine?Also check the transmission operation,those "slip-slides "arent the fastest things on the block anyway! It could be something as simple as points worn and throwing the dwell,and consequently the timming off.

super sport

Well Known Member
Its a 250hp with edelbrock manifold , 600 Edelbrock carb larger cam and camelhump 202 valve heads . I will check the timing first . I hope its just off . Im saving up for a 700r trans in the future.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The big cam and 2.02 valves will kill low end torque. A 2 speed powerglide just makes things worse. My L79 (350 hp 327) would not even squeak the rear tire on my non-posi car. Put in a 350 turbohydro with a 2000 stall converter and could melt the tires at will. It all depends on gearing. BTW, GM is still using 1.94 intake valves on their ZZ crate motors.Leo

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The trans change will really wake it up.If the engine is fairly fresh,I'd still look for a dwell change[should be 30 degrees].i lost count of how many times I had to correct the point situation be cause whoever put them did not lube the rubbing block.They will change in less than 1500 miles if put up dry.Another reason to go Pertronix.

super sport

Well Known Member
Im going to check my sparkplugs tomorrow , i have an hei distributor what should my sparkplugs be gapped 45 or what ?