327 timing question

drews409

Hey everyone,
long time since ive posted here. Had a major computor crash last fall and finally got a good upgraded one. My question is simple. I rebuilt my 68 impala 327 motor and now in having a bit of trouble timing it. It idles fine but under load at about 1500 rpm it spits and sputters. Maybe im 180 degrees off? If the number one cyclinder is at tdc will their be suction or vacuum on my finger over the hole? Thanks for any advise. Drew in South Carolina. :dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tdc

At TDC, it should be trying to blow your finger off the hole.

Fred

drews409

ok ive misplaced my small block chevy rebuild manual. Both at TDC? Will my rockers be even or will the intake be a bit higher? Any website that show this procedure? Thanks! Drew.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Drew,I don't know of any site,but I'll try to explain
(1) remove the valve cover on drivers side
(2) turn your crank till the timing marks on your dampner are at 0.Check your rocker arms and both valves should be closed at # 1 cly.If one of the valves is open rotate your crank 360 deg.
(3) with both valves closed at #1 cly and your timing marks at 0 install your dist so your rotor points at #1 on your cap
I hope this helps,good luck

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
To find #1 TDC, I usually remove the spark plug then wad a piece of paper larger than the spark plug hole and press it over the hole to get a good seal. I then use a remote starter button (or have someone) to "bump" the starter until the wad of paper pop out. That would be #1 TDC :) .

bobs409

Administrator
Seon, that sounds like a good one for our Tips/Tricks page. Mind if I add it? I'll put your name with it. :)

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Bobs409, by all means post it. I leaned that from an old back yard mechanic years ago when I was a yound lad and that has always worked for me.

Gus68

Well Known Member

Hey drew!!! No one seemed to have answer your question. If your dist. was 180 off it wouldn't run at all. If you were off a cog or 2 you could still get it to run by turning the dist. but it would be a mutt. I think if it runs and idles OK and just sputters under load, I would check your plug wires, (you did replace them with new when you rebuilt it right?) if not I would replace the wires. another thing to check is your plugs ( those are new too right?)It is posible you could have cracked one when you installed it, also check for carbon tracking on the porcilin on the outer end of the plug (the end the wire goes on) carbon tracking looks like a black crack on the porcilin but its not a crack, this is from the spark trying to jump around the plug. Otherwise I would check the cap and rotor for simmilar problems. 99% of the time a miss or stumble under load is in the ignition system. Hope this helps!!! :)

that happen to 727 i had in high school and it turned out been the timing chain .one of the gear teeth broke.it good luck