348/409 NATIONALS AT DRAGWAY 42s ROCK N RACE JULY 6-9th, 2023

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 348/409 event at RockNRace was the first time I raced in that event. I remember hearing about the 348/409 events and always wanted to participate. W motors are in my bones. It’s the only motors that my father ever raced. He retired from racing in ‘88. Up until then my father, brother and I would wrench on them. It’s all we knew. As I got older, I moved on to traditional big blocks. We put together a 62 Impala with a big block Chevy. But the bones were still there. I started a family and kept racing big blocks and the occasional small block.
My father passed away a year ago, my brother passed away 2 months ago. This forced me to do what I always wanted to do, put a W in my ‘62 Impala. The car had been sitting in various states, outside, in the corner of the garage, shuffled around, etc. In may of this year it had a 6,0 LS sitting in it. It was a project we were determined to do. It made the most sense.
After losing my brother, I really got to thinking about the car. It had to have a W. During all this time, my son has been racing. He’s had a few cars, nice cars. Firebird, Malibu, Nova, currently a dragster. He’s a successful bracket racer. He’s never experienced a W motor. I wanted to change that. Life is too short to not experience a W motor. So it begun. It would have never been possible without my wife. She’s the true gearhead in the family.lol She took on extra shifts while we were working in the shop so we could afford to take this on. She is phenomenal.
We started this project to participate in the W race at Rock N Race. We ended up winning the W event. When I got the time slip after the finals and saw the Win, I broke down. I felt like my lost loved ones were there and pushing the car. Even now I get emotional.
I could keep going but I’ve bored you enough(Lol)
I want to thank my wife and son, and all the friends that showed up to help slam this thing together.
I especially want to thank all the W racers and especially Bryan for making us feel welcome.
I have ideas for next year. It includes maybe my son racing and my ‘59 Imp. I can’t wait.
Thank you all for everything.

How cool is that.... :flag

Congrats on the win.

PS...the Iowa race is September 30 & October 1 see sticky post.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Going to make the Iowa race Dean? Oops, I think you have a conflict.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
The 348/409 event at RockNRace was the first time I raced in that event. I remember hearing about the 348/409 events and always wanted to participate. W motors are in my bones. It’s the only motors that my father ever raced. He retired from racing in ‘88. Up until then my father, brother and I would wrench on them. It’s all we knew. As I got older, I moved on to traditional big blocks. We put together a 62 Impala with a big block Chevy. But the bones were still there. I started a family and kept racing big blocks and the occasional small block.
My father passed away a year ago, my brother passed away 2 months ago. This forced me to do what I always wanted to do, put a W in my ‘62 Impala. The car had been sitting in various states, outside, in the corner of the garage, shuffled around, etc. In may of this year it had a 6,0 LS sitting in it. It was a project we were determined to do. It made the most sense.
After losing my brother, I really got to thinking about the car. It had to have a W. During all this time, my son has been racing. He’s had a few cars, nice cars. Firebird, Malibu, Nova, currently a dragster. He’s a successful bracket racer. He’s never experienced a W motor. I wanted to change that. Life is too short to not experience a W motor. So it begun. It would have never been possible without my wife. She’s the true gearhead in the family.lol She took on extra shifts while we were working in the shop so we could afford to take this on. She is phenomenal.
We started this project to participate in the W race at Rock N Race. We ended up winning the W event. When I got the time slip after the finals and saw the Win, I broke down. I felt like my lost loved ones were there and pushing the car. Even now I get emotional.
I could keep going but I’ve bored you enough(Lol)
I want to thank my wife and son, and all the friends that showed up to help slam this thing together.
I especially want to thank all the W racers and especially Bryan for making us feel welcome.
I have ideas for next year. It includes maybe my son racing and my ‘59 Imp. I can’t wait.
Thank you all for everything.
Awesome story ……sorry about your losses, but happy for you and your success, with your wife and son …….you won’t bore the guys around here ……. They are good people ………beautiful story

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What an epic race weekend! There are hundreds of photos online from racers, family and friends of the 348-409 community which is amazing! Still upset that I couldn't shake out the time to come but baby coming soon is directing every minute of our lives for the next month and a half or so. See everyone in Oct in Iowa!

Bizkwik

I didn’t know there were this many W events. It started as a bucket list event for us. It might turn into vacation destinations in the future. We’re not going to be able to make Iowa. My son is getting married that weekend. Unless I talk him out of it that’s the plan. (Just kidding we’re happy for them)

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I didn’t know there were this many W events. It started as a bucket list event for us. It might turn into vacation destinations in the future. We’re not going to be able to make Iowa. My son is getting married that weekend. Unless I talk him out of it that’s the plan. (Just kidding we’re happy for them)
I am happy for you, and them …… I was married for 22 years before I ended up getting divorced (her plan of coarse)(she knew the judge would take care of her, they all do )……I laughed very hard when you said you would try to sway him………I am really jaded ……but I still think it’s funny……!!!!

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Reschedule the whole group to the track for the wedding! I'm pretty sure Coots, aka Iowa 409 Guy can handle the nuptials.
Jeff

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ask him if he has ever thought about getting married in Iowa. Its beautiful open country side with fields of flowing corn. Then be sure to act surprised when a drag strip with 348-409 cars just happens to be at the same place. ;)

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Bryan,
Do you have any indication as to what may be the proposed dates for next year!

Gav
We all kind of want to see how this is going to go this year. Having at the end of the year is pretty great because it puts way less pressure on summer schedules for most of us. If this goes well then maybe end of year will be the best. I'm pumped to see everyone since I have been stuck under a rock prepping for baby.

Last edited: