348-409??which is it

mercsrus51

I was at a show in Lake George, NY last weekend, and there was a 62 Impala 4 -Sale.......Sign said 409 , BUT the dip stick in plain view was on the Drivers side......KNowing all that I ve learned off this web site, and not saying a word, I am still wondering i, anytime at all, IS the dipstick on the drivers side on a 409....

I didn't want to insult the guy, or be a know it all, when I m not......so what is the anwwer...I really thought I was sure , from what I ve read here,,,but ya nevr know......

I have a 348 in my Merc ,, thats why I ve been a great fan of this website,,,,, LOU

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe Yes - Maybe No !!!

As I understand it, and I'm certainly NO expert, the 348/409 pans are the same. So that noted, you could put a 348 pan on a 409, but why ??? :dunno Like you, my understanding is that all 409s had the dip stick on the passenger side... Only way I know to be sure is checking the casting numbers. I guess you could put the 409 pan on a 348 also. Then when you brought your numbers matching 1962 Impala SS Convertable home, you'd get a real surprise !!!!! :stooges

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Knowledge is Power

Hey Lou,
THE only item that determines which side the dipstick is on is the oil pan. Can a 348 pan fit on a 409?? Sure it can. and vise-versa. But numbers can tell you alot more. Now, you dont have to commit each and every casting number known to man to memory, but there are a few that you should know:

814: 1963
422: 1964
656 : 1965

These are the '63-'65 409 blocks. They are easily distinguished by a big "X" that is cast into it just under the left cylinder head.

068 is the '62 block and I don't believe that it has the "X"

BEWARE of 655 and 962 blocks though. Those have the "X" also, but are in fact 348s

Engine stamp suffix's can be another quick way to tell.

Q(anything) is a '61-'64 409
J (anything) is '65 409
XXG : truck or truck replacement 409

If the first letter in the suffix is anything other than Q , J, or X it is most likely a 348.

Rock :cool:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
348 car pan

I don't believe the 348 car pan fits any 409. It interfers with the first counterweight or rod bolts on the front. Could be hammered to fit. I guess in the old days a service replacement engine could be assembled with whatever is around. I would not go by the pan as a tell all for what it is bolted to.