348/409 with Corvette-type Fuel Injection

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Saw these photos in coverage of the LA Roadster Show that took place this past weekend. No info (yet) beyond the photos.

2v0fnrr.jpg

4ui23s.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
OOOOOOH!:dance
Gotta see the intake adapter. I have a 65 FI unit that would loook great on my engine.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Lincoln Flathead 12 cylinder I would guess.

The fuel injection unit on the 409 is awesome. I knew this car existed from pictures on the hamb, but none of the pictures of it were large enough to get a good look at it.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Holy crap what talent beautiful we need a you tube video of the sound and performance of this machine.

mailman

Well Known Member
This is the car that I saw in Rod & Custom magazine a few years back and tried to find out more info about but no one knew anything about it, even doubted its existence. I would love to see a detailed article about that engine.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:bow I am working on an adapter to do the same thing with a LT 1 style intake. When I get a little deeper and know it will work out I will post the progress and pics.

mailman

Well Known Member
I asked at the hamb about this engine a year or two ago. No one there knew anything about it then. Evidently not many people have even seen it.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:bow I am working on an adapter to do the same thing with a LT 1 style intake. When I get a little deeper and know it will work out I will post the progress and pics.

Are you trying the intake or the ignition system as well? I think I've worked out a way to do a modern LS style ignition and Fuel Injection setup on the 348/409. It will be another three years before I try it but willing to exchange ideas.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hope NOONE would try to adapt an optispark LT1 ignition system to anything. I have a couple of them, and they have been great for me, but a lot of people have problems with them. Adapting the LT1 style intake like Derry mentioned would be cool. LT1's have a really good stock intake. They will make more power in stock/unported form than the only available aftermarket "performance" intake from Edelbrock. People run ported stock intakes on 9 and 10 second LT1's.

The LS1 coil-near-plug / individual coil per cylinder system is much better and aftermarket support for them is huge. You'll need to have a 24 or 58 tooth crankshaft reluctor wheel and crank sensor as well as a way to get a cam sensor signal .... I think it is a 4x signal for the cam, but can't remember for sure......which will require a custom timing cover for the sensor to mount to. (Might be able to use a distributor housing like the Vortec 350 distributor to pick up the cam signal??)

The fuel injection side of it is as simple as adding injectors and a throttle body to any other engine. Easiest way to do this on a W motor would be to use one of Aubrey's single planes and add injector bungs / fuel rails.....then use a Throttle body elbow to mount the LS1 style throttle body to the intake.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...The LS1 coil-near-plug / individual coil per cylinder system is much better and aftermarket support for them is huge. You'll need to have a 24 or 58 tooth crankshaft reluctor wheel and crank sensor as well as a way to get a cam sensor signal .... I think it is a 4x signal for the cam, but can't remember for sure......which will require a custom timing cover for the sensor to mount to. (Might be able to use a distributor housing like the Vortec 350 distributor to pick up the cam signal??)...

I think the way to go would be to along the lines of the setups that EFI Connection sells. http://www.eficonnection.com/

Would need to machine a new timing cover for the W-blocks.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think the way to go would be to along the lines of the setups that EFI Connection sells. http://www.eficonnection.com/

Would need to machine a new timing cover for the W-blocks.

That is what I was speaking of.....although I have seen people use a Vortec 350 96-00 distributor to get the cam signal.....so that may be easier....then all you would need to adapt at the front would be the crank sensor / reluctor. Some of the later Vortec 350's used the same PCM (computer) as the most popular/common LS1's (#0411 - I think) so it is doable. I've seen home-made kits using them to adapt LS1 computer management to a tuned port 350.....and to an LT1.....without the expense of the EFI connection kit.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Near as I can tell, the following parts are needed to run an LS style injection and ignition:

· PCM - Custom flashed
· Electronic Throttle – EFI Connections
· Electronic Pedal Assembly – EFI Connections
· Wire harness – EFI Connections
· Mass Air Flow Sensor – EFI Connections
· Cam Sensor – EFI Connections 4x cam sync distributor, would need an adaptoer
· 58 tooth ring such as http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-556-103/overview/
· Fuel Rails & Injectors – Think I can use a SBC rail with 80 lb injectors.
· Knock Sensor - Would think mounting engine block would work
· Coil packs and mounting points to valve covers
· O2 Sensor
Aubrey's intake manifold with holes drilled for the injectors.

Overall cost I think is about 5,500 - 6,000

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can mount the coils away from the valve covers in a more appealing location and just run longer plug wires. Lots of people do that when doing LS conversions. I WOULD NOT even slightly consider using "drive-by-wire" system / electronic throttle body/ electronic pedal. I have driven vehicles equipped with it and HATED it. I also work in parts at a GM dealership and can tell you first hand that they are a problem. I sell Throttle Bodies / Pedal Assemblies (with pedal position sensor) / and Throttle Body wiring connectors VERY OFTEN. Just the connector is well north of $100 and they somehow go bad a lot. I don't see why since they don't move or have parts rubbing on them. Also, whenever you have to swap a throttle body out then a procedure called an "idle relearn" has to be done or the vehicle will not idle anywhere close to normally. I don't know of a way to do that procedure without a TECH2 machine, but it may be possible.

The earlier LS family of engines still used a cable actuated throttle body. In all the years, I have not even had to price one of those out for an LS style engine.

42 lb / hr injectors would be plenty for almost any streetable 348/409 engine combo. F*$d SVO injectors are very popular with GM fuel injection users since they fit, wiring is the same (as earlier LS1/TPI/LT1 stuff) are durable, and affordable. For example: Lots of friends of mine have 30 to 36 pound injectors on 383"-385" LT1 engines that make over 400 rear wheel horsepower and run the quarter in the mid to low 11's....a few in the high 10's. That is around 500 HP at the flywheel.

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
You can mount the coils away from the valve covers in a more appealing location and just run longer plug wires. Lots of people do that when doing LS conversions. I WOULD NOT even slightly consider using "drive-by-wire" system / electronic throttle body/ electronic pedal. I have driven vehicles equipped with it and HATED it. I also work in parts at a GM dealership and can tell you first hand that they are a problem. I sell Throttle Bodies / Pedal Assemblies (with pedal position sensor) / and Throttle Body wiring connectors VERY OFTEN. Just the connector is well north of $100 and they somehow go bad a lot. I don't see why since they don't move or have parts rubbing on them. Also, whenever you have to swap a throttle body out then a procedure called an "idle relearn" has to be done or the vehicle will not idle anywhere close to normally. I don't know of a way to do that procedure without a TECH2 machine, but it may be possible.

The earlier LS family of engines still used a cable actuated throttle body. In all the years, I have not even had to price one of those out for an LS style engine.

42 lb / hr injectors would be plenty for almost any streetable 348/409 engine combo. F*$d SVO injectors are very popular with GM fuel injection users since they fit, wiring is the same (as earlier LS1/TPI/LT1 stuff) are durable, and affordable. For example: Lots of friends of mine have 30 to 36 pound injectors on 383"-385" LT1 engines that make over 400 rear wheel horsepower and run the quarter in the mid to low 11's....a few in the high 10's. That is around 500 HP at the flywheel.

I am running 35 lb injectors on my set-up on a 348 and so for so good. One experienced note is that make the adapter/valley plate thickness at less
5/16 or 3/8 inch.