348-409

LouieS

Guys i am looking for a 348 409 to do a sixties show rod. Let me start by saying i don't know anything about these motors, i have built all kinds of big blocks from mild to wild blown ones but i need a little help on what to look for. I will by running a six x two intake on it i do know that. Is there anything i need to look for or stay away from? I would like to build 450 or 500 horse motor.

23plumpt

Supporting Member 1
348-409 Engines

Give Jack Gibbs a call (409 Chevy Performance 530-934-4336) always has several motors in stock. very knowledgable and helpful in making the right desision.

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
6 x 2 intake

If you intend to run the aftermarket six deuce intake (which I think is a real cool look!) you will likely need to consider the smaller port heads, as I've never seen a 6x2 intake that fits the big port heads. The smaller port heads do not flow nearly as much as the big port heads, even with major porting (but that will help!). This might limit your horsepower levels a bit. Others will chime in with their own opinions.

If you are just "going for the look", you might consider a 348 build and those six deuces. This will be much less expensive (if that is an issue). 409 blocks seem to be commanding a premium now that aluminum heads (big port) and aluminum water pumps and new mass produced aluminum intakes hit the marketplace...

Good luck with your build!

TomK

LouieS

If you intend to run the aftermarket six deuce intake (which I think is a real cool look!) you will likely need to consider the smaller port heads, as I've never seen a 6x2 intake that fits the big port heads. The smaller port heads do not flow nearly as much as the big port heads, even with major porting (but that will help!). This might limit your horsepower levels a bit. Others will chime in with their own opinions.

If you are just "going for the look", you might consider a 348 build and those six deuces. This will be much less expensive (if that is an issue). 409 blocks seem to be commanding a premium now that aluminum heads (big port) and aluminum water pumps and new mass produced aluminum intakes hit the marketplace...

Good luck with your build!

TomK
I am just going for the w motor look mostly, so 348 or 409 will work. I do want to build at least 450 horsepower. Does anyone think this can happen?

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
Hey, I live within 40 minute drive from you and I have a 348 complete engine core that I am planning to e-bay after the first of the year.
You my call me at 832-524-0383