348 build questions

Hello,

I am new to this site and new to the "w" motors. I have a 1957 Chevy 2 post that I am thinking about putting a "w" motor in it.
What is the best way to build this motor for reliable horsepower. I have seen the stroker motor kits with the 427 crank. If I am correct this would give me about 408 with a 30 over piston. Anybody tried this? The motor is a 59 348 with the low perf heads. Could these heads be ported to work better too? What cam, intake and exhaust set up would be best. Any help with all these questions would be appreciated. I would like to keep the compression in the 9.5 - 1 range for pump gas use.
Brad

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey Brad, glad to see that you joined up. Hopefully the guys here can help out a little more than I can. Talk to ya later.

Carl

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
57 Chevy

Brad,welcome to the site and you made a good choice,using a 57 Chevy to install 348 in:D .A 409 crank is a drop in and a cheaper way to go,but if your looking at 427 stroker kits you know what they cost $$$$$.I would go with 3819333 Truck heads,you can install larger valves,2.19/1.72.You could use a Offenhauser 2X4 intake manifold on this heads.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Brad,

Welcome to the W world. Your low performance heads can be significantly improved, and 400+ HP is possible out of a stroked 348. W heads are actually pretty detonation resistant and paired with the right cam, compression ratios around 10.4:1 can safely be employed with 91 octane, more compression if you have better fuel in your neighborhood. Check out Bruneau Performance on the Links page. This is a long time member and contributor here, "Canadian Pontiac Guy's" website and he has a lot of experience with stroked 348s and many parts that will make it work.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brad, Welcome, glad you found us. The more the merrier. The previous suggestions are great. These guys know what they are talking about. You might also search "strokers" in this catagory and you will find a wealth of information. Good luck,

348 stroker

Hello All,

Thank you for you replies. I will check out the info everyone has listed. I have checked out the prices on the stroker kits. $2000!!! I am not shure of the casting numbers on the heads. I am looking at purchasing the motor from CarlK60. He would have that info yet. If I am under standing correctly you can not put the larger valves in the 59 low perf heads? the link to past stroker forums did not work. I seen Summit still sells a Offy 2x4 intake for $310.
Brad

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Larger valves?

I have the LoPo 60 348 heads, I placed 2.07"/1.72" valves in place of the small 1.94"/1.65" no problem. 59 heads are the same heads.