348 engine swap to a 1949 Chevrolet pickup

Ted Bostrom

Hi Guys.
I’m new here and appreciate all of the valuable information from so many experienced people.
I have a 1949 Chevrolet pickup and would like to swap in my 348 with tripower / 700R4. Has anyone ever done this and if so what do I need to be aware of? I do not want to cut the firewall if at all possible. I have a stock frame and will be installing a TCI M2 IFS suspension up front.
Most of the info on engine swaps for this truck relate to LS swaps which is very common. I want something different and hope the 348 swap is doable with very little hassle.
I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks, Ted.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
=Hi Ted ,,:welcome2 You may
have to massage the firewall just a bit esp.on the passenger side in order to clear your valve cover.I know that it is on a 65 when using tall after market covers.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Ted:
Many moons ago a buddy and I stuffed an Olds 455 into his '51 3100 pickup. I imagine the W engine is a similar size. We kept the beam axle but converted it to front steer to gain room for the headers. Using M2 suspension and a steering rack should simplify your build. Radiator room will be tight. Really tight. No firewall mods were needed other than we moved the mc and booster to the firewall and switched to a swing brake pedal.
I'm strapped in and the popcorn is ready...keep us informed!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It all depends where you choose to locate the engine front to rear. If you don't modify the firewall, you may get pretty tight in front, as Brodie says.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Of course you will have to convert the rear axle to open drive shaft so parking brake cables will have to be modified, 12 volt conversion and original or hanging pedals.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You might look at Speedway to see what you can do for mounts. One setup uses their front saddle mount and some frame adapters. Other options have more universal weld-in side mounts. The firewall is similar to my '37 which was OK. Exhaust might be tight too. And the steering shaft...

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ted I’m putting a 348 in the 51 Chevy pictured. i originally had a 396 in it with turbo 400 that fit good with out firewall or floor board cutting except for front body mount brace modification which I don’t believe your pick up has. The fit is tight to be sure and the 348 is wider then the 396. I’m trying to upgrade components on the car that I wasn’t happy with during the original build, brakes, steering ect. I have already done the initial mockup fit, engine,complete as possible, front end , transmission, exhaust, core support/radiator. You need to do a mock up of all your components, truck up on jack stands, front end tacked into position.if it’s a kit made for that truck it will have instructions on we’re to position it, I put a mustang II type set up in mine but made a lot of markings on the frame rails and a drawn diagram of were the original front end components were just for a reference check. Then set your engine/trans in the compartment up on stands/jack/blocks what ever it takes to position it were it needs to be. Rolling jack with stands so you can move it around and then you can start making a lot of decisions as to what components you need to make it all work. mounts/exhaust/steering/ front of engine components etc.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The frame rails are very tight so the kit that I bought came with a rack but the 348 is so wide I just couldn’t make it work, I had to noch the frame to get the exhaust manifolds to fit and there was absolutely no room left for a shaft between the steering column in the rack. I wound up making a new steering set up using a bronco steering box/ small and compact up on the front of the frame rail and out of the way. A set of fender well type headers might have allowed me to use the rack. These are the types of decisions you’ll have to make. You may go through several different components for each fit scenario you encounter. What is the width of your frame rails? I’ll measure mine and see if their the same

oldrod40

Supporting Member 1
I put a 348 in a 1940 Chevy sedan, however it was subframed with a late 70’s nova front end. It had a small block that was removed when I purchased it. The 348 sat in with a Muncie. I put a straight mirrored steel firewall on it. It’s close in the back for sure but even closer in the front. No puller fan have to have a pusher and about a half inch from the radiator with the power steering pump.

If any pics would help let me know I’ll send them over. Good luck with the build can’t wait to see it.

Last edited:

Ted Bostrom

Hey Ted I’m putting a 348 in the 51 Chevy pictured. i originally had a 396 in it with turbo 400 that fit good with out firewall or floor board cutting except for front body mount brace modification which I don’t believe your pick up has. The fit is tight to be sure and the 348 is wider then the 396. I’m trying to upgrade components on the car that I wasn’t happy with during the original build, brakes, steering ect. I have already done the initial mockup fit, engine,complete as possible, front end , transmission, exhaust, core support/radiator. You need to do a mock up of all your components, truck up on jack stands, front end tacked into position.if it’s a kit made for that truck it will have instructions on we’re to position it, I put a mustang II type set up in mine but made a lot of markings on the frame rails and a drawn diagram of were the original front end components were just for a reference check. Then set your engine/trans in the compartment up on stands/jack/blocks what ever it takes to position it were it needs to be. Rolling jack with stands so you can move it around and then you can start making a lot of decisions as to what components you need to make it all work. mounts/exhaust/steering/ front of engine components etc.
Thanks for all the great info here. I guess my biggest challenge then will be the exhaust and steering. My initial thought was to use the original cast iron exhaust manifolds as they tuck to the block pretty nice, but I'd like to use tubular headers because of weight. Have you any idea who supplies a good block hugger header for these engines?

Reactions: Tim

Ted Bostrom

I put a 348 in a 1940 Chevy sedan, however it was subframed with a late 70’s nova front end. It had a small block that was removed when I purchased it. The 348 sat in with a Muncie. I put a straight mirrored steel firewall on it. It’s close in the back for sure but even closer in the front. No puller fan have to have a pusher and about a half inch from the radiator with the power steering pump.

If any pics would help let me know I’ll send them over. Good luck with the build can’t wait to see it.
Thanks Oldrod40....if you have pics available, that would be great.

Ted Bostrom

You might look at Speedway to see what you can do for mounts. One setup uses their front saddle mount and some frame adapters. Other options have more universal weld-in side mounts. The firewall is similar to my '37 which was OK. Exhaust might be tight too. And the steering shaft...
Thanks Dave. I need to wrap my head around the exhaust and steering. Wish it was simple but then anyone could do it....LOL

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for all the great info here. I guess my biggest challenge then will be the exhaust and steering. My initial thought was to use the original cast iron exhaust manifolds as they tuck to the block pretty nice, but I'd like to use tubular headers because of weight. Have you any idea who supplies a good block hugger header for these engines?
Sanderson makes a block hugger header but they definitely take up more space than the original manifolds, I also chose to use the original motor mounting points so between the mounts and the headers I couldn’t make the rack work. The space between the frame rails around the the point were the headers drop down is only about 22” on the car frame, that’s why I asked how wide your frame rails were the truck frame may be different. You may not be able to answer these questions until you do your initial mock up. I have a 52 Panel truck here I could take some measurements on probably the same chassis as the one you have. The original engine is still installed so it might be difficult to get a accurate reading

Attachments

• 69DDE3BB-7717-44EF-8A87-7F9B5DF448CA.jpeg
    69DDE3BB-7717-44EF-8A87-7F9B5DF448CA.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like I said before I said a set of fender wells may have been the better way to go but nobody makes her set that will fit that application so they would have to be custom-made and the cost at the time I made the decision was prohibitive

wristpin

Well Known Member
I have a 350 sitting in a 52 frame if you want pics for reference. I know its not 348w but there is nothing no fenders or cab on it so steering is easy to see, etc