348 exhaust

july2849

Well Known Member
need an exhaust system for my 59' El Camino 348. I have some Doug headers off another car but thinking I use the stock manifolds as it pretty original car.
Need advice on where to get a complete system, but I want some throaty exhaust, maybe a set of cut outs-but I am confused as to mufflers, some kits offer a muffler but I don;t know what I'm getting. And to I really need Stainless, car is housed inside.
thanks in advance

427John

Well Known Member
If the engine is pretty stock 2.25" duals will be plenty if you plan any upgrades though I'd go 2.5", for mufflers I've always run the old Walker super turbo now days its called the Dynomax super turbo its fairly quiet at idle and tooling around but loud enough to tell if you have a cam and starts to speak up when you mat it. I'm not sure why you feel you need stainless I have 2 different rigs with aluminized 2.5" dual systems 1 car that is kept in an unheated garage with a concrete floor that the system has been on nearly 25 years and it looks as solid as the day it was put on,and the other is a truck that stays outside year round and the system has been on nearly 20 years and only starting to see spots in the aluminized coating, neither rig gets driven a lot the truck more often than the car but at this rate I don't see having to put an exhaust on either in my lifetime.

july2849

Well Known Member
I miss wrote, I don't really want Stainless, aluminized it fine. 2 1/2" if perfect. Any suggestions on a supplier?

427John

Well Known Member
Summit has a good selection of Shafers exhaust systems for your car I don't know how competitive their prices are but their descriptions are pretty good so you can figure out which system you want and go shopping for that part number to get best price.