348 for 59 Nomad wagon

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like it is trying to find hens teeth here in NZ as it is also with 348 & 409s.

This weekend i was lucky enough to pick up a 348 and will be installing it in to my 59 wagon. :burnout
It has been bored to .030 with crank to 10 - 10.
Pistons that have come with it are .030 cast - see pic
Cam - Hyd - see pic
Block - 3755011
Heads - 3758379 these are buggered, need replacements

So here's the big thing, I want a nice hauling / cruzing motor that will have a bit of get-up and go.
What ideal heads would one suggest as a replacements (don't want alloy for this motor).
What are your views on the pistons and cam that have come with it!
I will also be adding a tripower set-up to it and all hooked up to a turbo 350.
Can't remember what the current rear gear ratio is.
I have the manifolds with engine to but thinking of going with headers.

Any other suggestions, gratefully received.

Not wanting a high performance for this one.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Gav

Attachments

• IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 135

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:rubShow Cars Icon pistons[10.5-1],0950 cam[218-224 @.050],817 heads with bowl work and stock size valves,small tube headers,and tripower.Great torque,decent mileage,and the ability to easily smoke the tires at will,would be my suggestion.A 409 crank,and one step up on the cam would be better for power,but this little stock stroke set up would be FUN!I don't like cast pistons,you need the extra compression,and according to the spec's on it,that cam would make a good door stop,not anything resembling power.

Last edited:

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I would strongly consider doing a 700r4 instead of the 350 with a 373 gear and you will have a very fun combination and will be really great on the highway loafing along around 1300-1400 rpm at 60mph depending on your tire and wheel combo

ThumperNZ

Well Known Member
Well done Gav. I see that cam is the stock spec. From experience with Marks engine, these engines can use a lot of cam. As far as the original heads go, what's wrong, are they cracked?

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:rubShow Cars Icon pistons[10.5-1],0950 cam[218-224 @.050],817 heads with bowl work and stock size valves,small tube headers,and tripower.Great torque,decent mileage,and the ability to easily smoke the tires at will,would be my suggestion.A 409 crank,and one step up on the cam would be better for power,but this little stock stroke set up would be FUN!I don't like cast pistons,you need the extra compression,and according to the spec's on it,that cam would make a good door stop,not anything resembling power.
Hey Don,
Thanks for the advise, greatly appreciated. I have already had an over on a set of 817 heads by a great member.
The pistons you refer too are these the ones as per below!
348 10.5-1 Stock stroke stock rod ICON forged piston 1/16 1/16 3/16 ringlands
Part # 8935P40

To what extent would you suggest as far as bowl work goes!

Cheers
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well done Gav. I see that cam is the stock spec. From experience with Marks engine, these engines can use a lot of cam. As far as the original heads go, what's wrong, are they cracked?
Thanks Rod, won't be a quick build with working on the 62 as well.
Yeah original heads are cracked in a number of places.

A bummer with the issues on Mark & Annies car. Was talking to Mark today and trying to convince them to come out to Rangiora Car show late Jan.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would strongly consider doing a 700r4 instead of the 350 with a 373 gear and you will have a very fun combination and will be really great on the highway loafing along around 1300-1400 rpm at 60mph depending on your tire and wheel combo
Interesting, thanks for that.

Gav

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Somewhat related, I have to give you guys who reside outside the US, a lot of credit for putting some cars together in your own country. Here, we have much easier access to parts and shipping doesn't kill us as much as it does you. Can't imagine sometimes the frustration you must experience in finding/ordering parts/shipping and then the wait. Yup, you guys have a lot of courage. I don't think I could do it, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Don,
Thanks for the advise, greatly appreciated. I have already had an over on a set of 817 heads by a great member.
The pistons you refer too are these the ones as per below!
348 10.5-1 Stock stroke stock rod ICON forged piston 1/16 1/16 3/16 ringlands
Part # 8935P40

To what extent would you suggest as far as bowl work goes!

Cheers
Gav
Hi Gav,Since this is a small inch engine ,in a heavy car with reasonably tall gears[most likely 3.36's],I'd say open up the area just beneath the valves to about 85 percent of the valve face]2.065] size and lightly blend into the bowl.You won't really want more than this ,unless you go "big inch" with a stroker crank.The cam I suggest will give you a hp peak in this stock stroke engine of around 52-5400,and a torque peak of around 36-3700.A good,multi-angle valve job along with this and you'll love it.The reduced weight and friction of this piston/ring combo will make life easier on the stock rods,helping keep the cost down.While I agree that the 700r4/3.70 gear combo would be ideal for this car,there's nothing wrong with a 350 trans.either.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Somewhat related, I have to give you guys who reside outside the US, a lot of credit for putting some cars together in your own country. Here, we have much easier access to parts and shipping doesn't kill us as much as it does you. Can't imagine sometimes the frustration you must experience in finding/ordering parts/shipping and then the wait. Yup, you guys have a lot of courage. I don't think I could do it, Carmine.
Hey Carmine,
Yes things can be certainly challenging at this end of the world to do what we do, even more so when we are playing with engines that aren't as common as SBC or BBC, and to be able to pick the brains from a very knowledgeable bunch as on this forum, means a real lot to us fellas at this end and with Don's info above we would never have known this otherwise on these W icons

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Gav,Since this is a small inch engine ,in a heavy car with reasonably tall gears[most likely 3.36's],I'd say open up the area just beneath the valves to about 85 percent of the valve face]2.065] size and lightly blend into the bowl.You won't really want more than this ,unless you go "big inch" with a stroker crank.The cam I suggest will give you a hp peak in this stock stroke engine of around 52-5400,and a torque peak of around 36-3700.A good,multi-angle valve job along with this and you'll love it.The reduced weight and friction of this piston/ring combo will make life easier on the stock rods,helping keep the cost down.While I agree that the 700r4/3.70 gear combo would be ideal for this car,there's nothing wrong with a 350 trans.either.
cheers Don, Top man thank you.:good
Hope you don't mind but might send you the odd PM in future to pick your brains as i move along with the build.

Thanks
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So as a follow on, Today was a good day, only one work call out and that was this evening.
The free day allowed me to start installing new suspension springs on the 59 wagon and this will be so to accommodate the 348 engine that has been purchased as per above and will be installed some stage next year.
15698069_1150805871685024_3357000593160217450_n.jpg
15585265_1150809808351297_5927174037822638034_o.jpg
15723496_1150809765017968_8980479705816333771_o.jpg
15698019_1150805941685017_7016410979875604372_n.jpg
15626542_1150805911685020_2836957859454137398_o.jpg

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy, I like that car. Please keep posting pics as you work on it. Thanks, Carmine.
So i picked this up in 2008 and was initially looking for a wagon to cruz the USA on a 2 month stint. When i found this it was mobile but no road worthy and was to good a buy to pass up, purchased it and had it sent home.
Came with 283 and turbo 350, completely rebuilt all the running gear, suspension, steering. Rust wise she was pretty mint. Drivers floor pan replaced, a little rust in the front fire wall, which Steve helped me out with and then the SURPRIZE came:eek3. The back of the roof had been filled in with box section and bogged over where it had completely rotted out, so back / side windows had to come out to fix and while they were out I had the roof painted (bugger it, tooo much paint. Otherwise body is all original.

The car has now been on the road since 2011 and it looks today what it did back then and to me it is FINISHED. Apart from the engine build for her now, the rest is going to remain as you see it.
She is bare bones, no hood lining, no carpet, no door cards, a couple of cracked windows and front passenger window is plexiglass, which here in NZ is illegal to have but have managed to get away with it thus far:taunt. O and had the pin striping done last year.

She's my true parts car, where i can happily curz out pic up my parts / engine, throw in the back and not worry about scratching anything. Or if i'm working in the shed and knocking back stubbie then sitting on one of the awesome rear fins, then i don't have to worry about the paint work.

This is a true classic all original pantina paint.:good

Gav