348 guys

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know for sure if an intake manifold #3770083, off of a 305 HP 348 is aluminum or cast iron??

Thanks
Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Cecil. Is it anything special??

Dave

I used to think it was 305 hp only but lately I've noticed a lot of them on the 409 truck engines. Colvin (CBN) says it was also used as a service replacement manifold to 64. It is almost identical to the 831 340hp intake except it doesn't have the heat riser passages needed for the Rochester. :dunno

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks again Cecil....... so you would have to run an old Carter or a small AFB on it I take it.??

Dave

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dave,
Just curious, what is the casting date on this manifold? I'm guessing 1959. It's not the intake that was used on the later 305 motors.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did a little more checking and discovered that my 3012 AFB won't work on my 083 intake dated E 20 60. The throttle bores are symmetrical and the Rochester fits but the AFB will sit on there fine as long as you don't try to open the secondaries. I think Colvin was wrong and this was not a 305hp intake unless it came with different throttle bores.:scratch

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know what the date is on the manifold. It's with a bunch of 348-409 parts that I bought. I'm going to pick up the stuff this weekend so I'll let you know. I'll probably have a couple of sets of 379 heads & a set of 555's that I'll want to sell if anyone might want them. The 555's are a bit of a mystery, they could be the same as 333's or could have even smaller valves...... either way I think they are 348 truck..... so that 0038 manifold could have been either a car or truck who knows.......

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No Randy......... sorry......... it's a 340 HP engine in pieces and some 348 heads & intake & misc parts.

Dave

63BelAir

any update on whats for sale in the collection of parts you bought ?
Or did I forget to look in the swap meet section ..

Rick

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Rick....... is there anything in particular you're looking for. It wasn't much of a deal actually..... the stuff I'll probably sell = a set of 817's, a .020/.020 409 crank, mallory dual point, an 0083 intake manifold, an aluminum marine intake, a set of soso valve covers and a bunch of 348 cyl heads that I've already promised to a friend.

I'll probably Ebay the stuff after I get it all checked.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got the numbers in the "what is it section" on here. I also sent an email to the Mallory Tech line asking them to identify it for me.

It looks like it hasn't hardly been used.

Dave

63BelAir

Ok how much ?
If you email me a picture I would be able to tell if it at least
fits in the block :)

Rick

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll get a picture tonight and I can match it up with a 409 distributor as well. It's polished, does not have a vacume advance. It has a new cap, rotor & points & condenser.

I don't know what it's worth. Make me an offer.

Dave

63BelAir

Watcha pay for it ?
Add 25% or so to make a profit
plus a little extra for shipping to philadelphia.

Thats about the best I can say ..
Its your stuff you know what makes you feel comfortable

Were guessing it will fit/work and the shaft has no eccess play
the pick-up is good etc..

Rick