348 heads

lmpala58

Good day everyone. I have a pair of 379 heads, I know not the best heads. But has anyone put larger values in these heads and or enlarged the intake and exhaust ports?
Summit has a cooling looking intake with dual carbs but only for large port heads.
Just wondering if it possible. Going more for the looks than performance.
Any thoughts

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You can put in larger valves but the runners are smaller than the 1147, 586, 817, and 333 small port heads. Would probably be better to pick up some cheap 333 heads and rework them.

lmpala58

Thank you for your feedback. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories guy’s having to go through two or three pairs before they get a good pair. I will try to find a pair. But hard to find with in driving distance from me.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sometimes I think the 379s get a bad rap, when they are perfectly fine on a stock-ish 348, and they keep the compression up a bit over the 333s. I'd make the decision based on what castings you have and their condition.

A cherry set of 379s with bigger valves and maybe a little bowl work would be better (to me) than some rusty, cracked 333s that needed more labor. The best find would probably be a nice set of 817s in many cases.

lmpala58

Thanks for the reply- at least I know these heads are good. More h/p would be great but I’m more about the look under the hood. Like to put dual chrome carbs on but maybe too much fuel. Running 11.1 with a solid lifter right now.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Edelbrock did make a small port dual 4 bbl intake for the w series engines.Maybe you ca locate one of those.It'll be used and rather pricey,but a better fit.Another option,possibly a little better fit would be the factory 881 manifold.It would be a cheaper option .

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Edelbrock now longer offers one but offenhauser does so thank you for sending me down that path!!
What does Offenhauser offer new? There are lots of vintage intakes for Wieand and Offenhauser and those are a little easier to find than a small port Edelbrock because those of us that have them don't want to give them up. Edelbrock has no plans of recasting the small ports. All of this is the main reason I called and spoke to all of the companies that make 348-409 parts because of the lack of small ports. As soon as we get the 3D printed intakes ready for mass production, we will be focused on helping small port folks get whatever it is they like. Soon enough. Large port is what we started the 434ci stroker with (
) but its only because I have 690 heads on the engine. Hope to have these things ready soon. Pushing hard to make these 3D printed Carbon Fiber Nylon intakes a reality.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Post a request in the ''Wanted;' section here.Maybe someone has a good used one for sale.I know of one [Offfy]that might be.

Reactions: 327