348 into a 55 Nomad

39coupe

I've recently bought a 55 Nomad with a 6 cylinder, powerglide. I've got a 348 on the stand that I want to transplant into it? I was wondering what I can expect to have to do to get it in? Will I be able to use the front mount on the 348 and just drop it in? Will I have to relocate the transmission crossmember? Are there any clearance issues I should be concerned with...... firewall, steering box, etc? Will the stock exhaust manifolds fit? I really don't want to run headers. Will a stock V8 radiator be adequate to cool it?

Thanks in Advance for any information offered.

Al T.

PS: By the way, you guys (and ladies) have a great site here with a wealth of information. Glad it's here.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site. :cheers
There's no way that engine will fit! The best thing would be to sell me that car cheap and cut your losses. :deal JUST KIDDING! :D :roll
That looks like a great project you've got there. There are a few guys that have put W engines into shoeboxes that should be able to give you some answers. I know that when you install a regular big block, 396-454 you usually have to either move the engine ahead about 1 1/2" or masage the firewall a bit for valve cover clearance. My guess is the W engine would fit about the same.

39coupe

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I know it's just going to be a crappy old station wagon............. but they might catch on someday :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the 6 should be close in length to the 348, and weight wise their within 5 pounds of each other so I should be OK with the coils.

Al T.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
crappy old

Yeah I know it's just going to be a crappy old station wagon............. but they might catch on someday

I take offense to the above statement. See below

Attachments

• The wagon.jpg
    The wagon.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 100

39coupe

Nice wagon.............. must be a fun pass at the strip!

Al T.

PS............ I like wagons, gives me a place to sleep when I'm in the doghouse!

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
39coupe said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I know it's just going to be a crappy old station wagon............. but they might catch on someday :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the 6 should be close in length to the 348, and weight wise their within 5 pounds of each other so I should be OK with the coils.

Al T.

Al T, Welcome to to the site and it's nice to see another shoebox owner :) A 55 Nomad is not another crappy old station wagon,I'ts a Classic,very few were made.

The oil pan needs to be modified to clear the steering linkage,the left exhaust manifold is also a tight fit to the the steering gear.Use the 6cly rad mounting with a upgraded 4 core rad.

39coupe

Jim,

I've been looking for a 55 Nomad for a long time, actually had this engine waiting for me to find one. I know it's not a crappy wagon......... was trying to interject a little humor. ;)

Very excited about doing this build. Just need to get the Nomad home.

The 409 in your 57, did you have to do any alterations to the frame to get it in. The Nomad needs a complete restoration, but it's been storage in a barn in Virginia for just about 30 years. I'm planning on keeping the 6 just in case I want to do a full resto in the future. I'm told it's got 16,000 documented miles on it (that's what the title says.... if that means anything).

How is your 409 mounted? Did you use the front cradle motor mount on the engine? Was any fabrication/cutting/drilling required. I'm really hoping I don't have to butcher the frame to get it in for the above reason. What are you running for a tranny.

Thanks for your input.

Al T.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Al,I have done alot of alterations to my 57 and you do not want to do this to a Nomad like this,you should restore it to orginal.We do have a member that has installed a 348 in a 55 with very few alterations and here's a link to his profile to send him a PM or E-Mail to ask him some questions.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/member.php?u=35

39coupe

Jim,

Thanks for the contact. Believe me, If I have to do anything that isn't reversible I won't be doing it. I respect these cars too much. I just have this vision of popping the hood on the Nomad and seeing a "W" in it. I've wanted a "W" in a car longer than I've wanted a Nomad with a "W" in it. Thanks again for the contact.

Al T.

PS: Being an uninformed Canadian, how accurate are the mileages reported on Titles?

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Well ya got yourself a bardge, so I guess it makes sense to put a boat anchor in it.. :roll Why don't ya save yourself some shame and embarassment and let me take that stuff off your hands before too many people find out ya got that junk... :eek: I would be willing to come take it off your hands for what I can get out of it for scrap prices, that is if gas doesn't keep going up... :brow

Sound like a great project!!! :cool:

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
55 chevy/348

39coupe,
I put a 348 in a 55 Chevy in 1963. I welded in side motor mounts from a 59 Chevy and had to dimple the pass. side firewall to clear the valve cover/head, moved the radiator to the front side of the radiator support. Also the stock fuel pump did not clear the cross member and used a electric pump and block off plate. This was a standard shift car and I just do not remember if I used the same Z bar (bell crank) or not. Belived I used the 55 bell housing. Used the stock 348 exhaust manifolds, close, but I don't remember having to grind off anything. It was not a very hard swap and really woke that 55 up. I don't think I left anything out , but I may have (that was a long time ago). It had a little more pep than the 265 that was taken out. The young lady I was dating at the time had a 63 - 409 - 340 HP - 4, speed and that 55 would beat her 2-3 cars in the 1/4.

By the way, I know where the is a red and beige, with beige interrior Nomad setting up on blocks in a old barn just out side of Corsicana, Tex. I has been there for 10/12 years that I know of. The old man that owns it stays drunk most of the time and spends the summer with his daughter in Colorado. I have tried to buy it several times and stop by anytime I am in the area. He keeps gas in it and starts it when he is in Texas. The barn will most likely fall down on it before someone gets it. It is a shame :bang

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

39coupe

W head,

Thanks for the info. Once I get the Nomad home I'll be sure to pick your brain a little more.

Have you tried trading the Nomad for beer????

Al T.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
39 Coupe,
I am building a 55 retro gasser out of one of my 55 Chevies. I have the front clip off, and at one point not to long ago, I thought about putting a 409 that I have, in the 55. I set it in just for grins and to check fitment. I have side motor mounts located 1" forward, and I cut out thestock transmission side mounts. I have the radiator in the 6 cylider position. clearance was fine, but you might have trouble if you are going to run a Saginaw 605 power steering box. (I have one in my 57 Chevy, and had to run tight tubes for clearance.) I am probably going to run a straight axle in my gasser.

Personaly, I would use side motor mounts, and a transmission crossmember, no matter what motor you are going to run. the transmission crossmember can be made to move forward for a powerglide or a Muncie, and back to fit a 700R4 or a 2004R.

If you want to restore the Nomad at some point to a six( I am betting you never do) the side mounts can be removed, and the transmission horns can be rewelded if you carefully take them out with a die grinder.

Your firewall will be another area that you will want to pay attention to. It's hard to make a motor swap without a little firewall work. I always fill the firewall and use a raingear under dash wiper system to get rid of the ugly firewall mounted wiper motor. The 55 unit is a little harder to install than the 57 unit, but both work great.

Good Luck,

Dave in Dever

39coupe

Dave,

Thanks for the great information.

Out of curiosity, do you have any electric wiper motors kicking around? I need one for another car I've got.

Thanks.

Al T.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I sold the last one I had on EBay. That's the place to check, or you might try our favorite site for all Tri Five parts, Ralph Roberts at WWW.56chevy.com
He is the most knowledgeable tri five supplier around, and he has the best prices also.

Dave in Denver

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome!

So I'm not the only nut around here! :D I like your way of thinking Al. I modified a set of McGaughy's 3/4" forward side mounts to move the engine aproximately 1" forward from stock and 1/4" to the passenger side. I welded em in for ease but they can be bolted if you take off the A-arms. I used a rear crossmember conversion but left the stock frame horns on the frame. The stock 348 exhaust manifolds still hit the stock steering box slightly so I used washers under the lower mount to tilt the box outward. I did have to rotate the stock style fuel pump to the rear so the lines would clear the frame. Now both heads, exhaust manifold and fuel pump have about 1/4" clearance, butt everything works great, and I will add that I love the combination of the 700r4 and 3:36 posi also! Look at my old photos in the photo section, I know I haven't put any in there since I've had the thing on the road. I do have lots of digital photos of the whole process if you need me to Email any to you. Let me know and good luck! NUT :)
p.s. The oilpan has to be modified and the 6 cyl. radiator used, but then there is room for a clutch fan also.

Attachments

• 348 IN A 55 CHEVY.JPG
    348 IN A 55 CHEVY.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Purring.JPG
    Purring.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Side view.JPG
    Side view.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 63
  • OIL PAN CLEARANCE.JPG
    OIL PAN CLEARANCE.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IM000533.JPG
    IM000533.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 78

39coupe

Nut,

Thanks for the info! I'll be getting ahold of you once the car shows up..... it's currently in transit. Thanks again for the info.

Al T.

39coupe

Thanks for all the previous advice! Well, reality has set in with the arrival of the car, and now it's time to ask about some details. I'm ready to pull the body off the frame to do some floor repairs and was wondering about side engine mounts. What do you guys feel are the best side engine mounts to buy? I'm assuming I want to go with the 3/4"(?) forward mount for firewall clearance? I'd love to get the "W" off the engine stand and into the frame.......... besides I could use the engine stand for 1/2 a rotisserie (I'm giong to need it) :p

Here's the project............. don't barns in Virginia have roofs???

Thanks again,

Al T.

Attachments

• MVC-004S_2.JPG
    MVC-004S_2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 72