348 parts being scraped

MILKWEED

Hey I need to know if I should get some 348 parts from being scraped. here is the deal a hoarder lost his place and a scrap company is cleaning it out. I picked up the most complete 348 it was a 60 dated block. there is a bunch of others in the back of a truck bed but most are rusty and stuck. is there certain parts I should try to salvage or what??? I did find 2 sets of 817 heads inside one of the buildings , I picked those up and a tri power intake, I bought to many other parts to buy everything or I would. WHAT SHOULD I TRY TO SAVE THE MOST OF???? Almost every motor is a T stamped block....

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Give him scrap price plus a case of beer he'll be happy and you'll get a hell of a deal.

MILKWEED

I have been giving just over scrap price but I got a 1956 210 2 door post and tons of 56 fenders hoods etc. so at a trailer load every 4 or so days im running out of money fast... I will be back at the place Saturday and have lots of help just not sure what else to get cause funds are running low...

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do i hear the Midnight Gambler from Kansas City .....mounting up???

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Is this an old wrecking yard or just a scrap metal dealer?
There may be some parts that others would like before they go to scrap ie trim etc?

Steve

MILKWEED

Ok I know some of you guys know what the HAMB is.. get on there and look at a post called (hot rod parts overload/ going to the scraper) its posted by big mac.... The pile of stuff we are going threw is a hoarders life time collection there is everything under the sun in on and around this building the guy use to build Muncie 4 speeds I was told today. that would explain the boxes of 4 speed shifters I found yesterday.. piles of 12 bolt rear ends pallets of heads and 55 gallon drums of you name it, any part out of a car there is...

mailman

Well Known Member
Yeah, I read that post on the hamb. If I were you I would concentrate on the Vette parts. They are worth some good money. Its really hard to find used Vette salvage parts for the older ones.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some people have all the luck. I'd borrow money if I had to for a lot of that stuff. You will be able to pay the loan off and still bank huge $$. 12 bolt parts all bring good money...even the 65-70 Impala rears. Anything 4 speed. Anything that will fit a 60's or older 2 door Chevy or other popular brand. Bucket seats, consoles, I'm betting if he has that much 348 stuff that there is some 409 parts in the bunch too. Keep us posted on how it goes. Hope no one kills somebody over that stuff. It would be worse than all the women at the day after thanksgiving sales!!!!!

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835817

It looks like the photos were moved from photobucket. Thats why I don't like photobucket, the photos tend to disappear.

The photos are still there, the HAMB post has just had too many views, which has put his Photobucket account over its bandwidth allotment. They'll come back when his bandwidth "bucket" has been reset.

That said, there is a ton of stuff in the building. Unfortunately, it looked like it'd be very hard to sort through as a lot of the parts appear to have been just tossed or stacked wherever. Also sounds like MILKWEED is on a time crunch and doesn't have the time to examine and cross-reference casting codes on every part.

MILKWEED

We are going Saturday and taking 15-20 people and I doubt we will put a dent in it.. Big mac is gathering up all the vette parts he can find. I am gonna sort threw all the pallets of heads and I have a guy coming to figure out 4 speeds, linkage and 12 bolts.. I will try to take some more pics ,but not sure how to upload them. im a younger guy that has no technological skills. I think there is enough 56 body parts to fill two car hauler trailers. there is all sorts of suburban and panel rear doors and tailgates so I will try to save some of those as well.. im writing a list cause once you are there it is super over whelming. in the basement there is probably a million tires.. the pigeon shit in some places is 2 or 3 feet high.. I will do my best to save all that I can, but the more I save the more I look like a hoarder.. I have flipped a couple 348s already just to keep positive cash flow and save the stuff..

MILKWEED

Well by the time I got back there all the 348's were in the bottom of the scrap pile.. I did get save another set of 817 cast 409 heads and tons of 1956 chevy fenders,hoods, deck lids, grills and a door.. also got around 10 or more four speed shifters and tons of other stuff...