348 rebuild kit choice

El59Camino

Hi, This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading the forum for years and got many good tips...

I bought my 59 Camino 2011 and now it is time to rebuild its all original 250hp 348 engine. I belive the engine is now first time open. Everything inside looked factory stock.
Reason for the rebuild is bad blow and smoke what comes out from the road draft tube. Other wise engine worked great.

I already took the block and the crank to the machine chop and got the info that cylinders need to be bored out to 040' oversize.

So now I am about to order rebuild kit from the ebay. There is several kits available to choose form.
I am looking for best the cam/piston combination for the best low rpm torque, good gas milage and smooth idle. My Camino has 700r4 trany and 3.08 rear gear.
Original cam and 9,5 piston combination worked great. The car is a cruiser and the bed is often used so the torque is more important than high rpm power.

Show Car has rebuild kit in ebay with 10,5-1 pistons and Isky 256 cam. I think Isky 256 cam might be good choice for my need but my concern is 10,5 pistons what the kit has.
Manufacturer Isky says in their catalog that max. compression pressure is 9,5-1 for the 256 cam.

What do you think? Would 10,5 pistons and Isky 256 cam work together? Or should I choose kit from other vendor with 9,5 pistons? Or is there some other cam what would work for my rebuild? And 9.5 or 10.5 pistons for this kind of rebuild?

Isky 256 cam specs is 202/202 at 050, 256/256 adv.dur, 112 lb and 492/492 lift at 1,75

Mika

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd suggest the Show Cars piston pn 8935p40 piston,and the 0948 cam.[[206in.212ex.,.506 lift] Check your blocks casting date,the 59 blocks did not have the lower[p/s mounting] bolt holes drilled from the factory,60 and later blocks did in car applications.

El59Camino

Thanks for the replies,

The block, heads and intake are 59 cast. And the suffix code match the car. I did drill the holes for the PS pump when I swaped the generator out.

The 0948 cam looks like good choice. I did think I should get milder cam for low rpm torque but show cars cam chart says 0948 cam power range is 800-5000. And thats perfect for me. I think with the overdrive, lock up converter and low rear gear my highway speed cruise rpm are under 2000.

Could not find the 8935 pistons from the show car web catalog. But search showed 10.5-1 forged pistons. You recommend forged pistons over cast even in a stock build?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Every day,and twice on Sunday! They're much lighter,stronger,and use a modern ring package that seals better,and has much less piston/wall friction which gives you better mileage potential,as we ll as increased torque production.This 0948 cam from Show Cars is a modern Extreme Energy grind,and makes really good low-mid range torque.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Eye candy, thanks for the pics!

I can only imagine how challenging it must be to put one of these together on another continent :).

Enjoy the assembly, I hope your break in goes well. Keep us posted, it provides motivation for others (and me...)!

TomK