348 rocker studs HELP!!

61Impala2232

Hey can anyone help. I have 348 heads with 3/8" studs and i'm trying to put roller rockers on and i can't find any that are a 1.7 ratio with a 3/8" stud. Now will BB chevy rockers that are 1.7 ratio fit if my machinist drilled and tapped my head to put 7/16" studs in. and if he did do that will i need to adjust anything else like putting guideplates in? Anything will help thanks

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not at home for a few days, but the place I got my 7/16 from also had 3/8 roller rockers, you could check show cars, or I'm sure others will chime in to help. If you are dooing bigger cam and stronger springs I would recommend 7/16 screw in studs. JMO

Ray

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
61' Welcome. Putting the 7/16" screw in studs and then using the 1.7 BBC rocker is done all the time on the W engines.

61Impala2232

I'm not at home for a few days, but the place I got my 7/16 from also had 3/8 roller rockers, you could check show cars, or I'm sure others will chime in to help. If you are dooing bigger cam and stronger springs I would recommend 7/16 screw in studs. JMO

Ray
I am getting a custom grind cam from comp cams and getting new springs from them too but. We are also worried about cracking the head since it's gonna have to be drilled to 1/2" to install the 7/16 studs but if you guys are all sayin that it gets done all the time then i appreciate the help.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The stud bosses should be shortened the same thickness of the new stud nut. You should also check pushrod clearance in the head, probably be okay unless you get pretty hairy with new cam lift.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here's my 817's drilled and tapped ready for 7/16 studs and finished.

Dave

Attachments

• heads one 004.jpg
    heads one 004.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 77
  • July 16 005.jpg
    July 16 005.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 81

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
FWIW - I'm going with scorpions in my build.

These rockers are available in either 1.7 or 1.75 ratios. They are also designed for 3/8 diameter studs.
ARP makes a 3/8" screw in stud kit (134-7101) rated @ 170,000 psi.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I had mine drilled and tapped for 3/8 studs. I used ARP studs. Stock rockers so far, but plan to switch to Scorpion.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And yet another set of 1147's. Comp Cam Hi-Tech rockers.

Attachments

• screw in studs with comp cam rockers.jpg
    screw in studs with comp cam rockers.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 63