348 Spark Plugs

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Does the early 1958 348's use a different plug with a different length than later 1958 348 heads? My friend thinks he has the later version with cooling, but the Autolite 64 plugs look like they will hit the piston compared to the old plugs that were in the engine???

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
spark plugs

58 heads without the cooling does not take the extended reach plug. I think it calls for a AC 43, 44 or 45 plug. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Every source I have found lists the AC44 as the plug, but that crosses these days to an extended reach plug. the old ones in the motor when he bought it had threads of about 1/2" or less. His must be early heads.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
&*^%@*+^%$

Thank you Ronnie,

gol danged new fangled suffix's.....&*^%@*+^%$

Hey Bob: I was working on my car yesterday, and became so frustrated, that I blurted out the same dirty word. What does it mean?:dunno It must be bad, because my wife slapped me in the face.:mad: :roll :roll :roll Skip:)

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you use the 3/4 in. reach plugs in the early heads they may not hit the pistons but the threads will carbon up and you will have a hard time getting them out and may take the threads out.:eek: Roy

59wright

what plugs do i use for water cooled heads?

I can't find ac 44 plugs anywhere . what is the new equivilent? thanks

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
R44 , but you probably won't find those either. Use R44S S for extended tip. Will work fine. I assume you know those are for early 58 heads only. Use R44XLS for late 58 and later.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Turns out he has the 2791 - early heads.
Thanks for all the plug info. You folks are a veritable fountain of knowledge and other matter.

blumun53

Well Known Member
Rumor has it that if you use Autolite (Ford) spark plugs in a W-motor, that the car will come to life on its own in the middle of the night and start running amok through town and hurting people, and making the power lines short out and make the strangest sounds you've ever heard as it streaks through the countryside devouring everything in its path, while the hood and deck lid open and close on their own and a weird glow eminates from inside the car while the radio plays Liza Minelli at ear-piercing volume and will not come to rest until dawn the next day. Like I said it's mainly just a rumor.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Rumor has it that if you use Autolite (Ford) spark plugs in a W-motor, that the car will come to life on its own in the middle of the night and start running amok through town and hurting people, and making the power lines short out and make the strangest sounds you've ever heard as it streaks through the countryside devouring everything in its path, while the hood and deck lid open and close on their own and a weird glow eminates from inside the car while the radio plays Liza Minelli at ear-piercing volume and will not come to rest until dawn the next day. Like I said it's mainly just a rumor.

Glad my 61 has AC's I don't need those problems:D
Robert

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Autolite-Ford?

Ford sold Autolite to Bendix a long long long time ago. Ford stuff is Motorcraft.