348 Stalling Issue

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Replace. Just sounds to me like it’s always in stall mode. Had one do this same thing but was a lock up convertor.

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
Kind of feels like it’s locked. It really wants to pull when I put it in gear. Any suggestions on what kind to install and what stall speed? I’m new to this part of things.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds to me like a vacuum leak or a carb idle circuit problem. This is almost the exact problem I had with my wife's '83 AMC Eagle. It would shut of when put in reverse quite often and less when put in drive. It had a 2 barrel carb with some type of idle solenoid. I couldn't find any diagnostic info so I replace the carb with an older non solenoid carb. No more trouble.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Glad Scot tuned in on this . Ok take and jack up rear wheels use safety stand's for sure don't count on jack alone. Start engine and shift from gear to gear like you do to make it die. Hold rear wheels from turning only till in gear these release brake. Does it stay running ,engine cut out? Watch what rear wheels are doing when you do this.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to the stall,a basic 2,000 rpm would be all I'd want.This will also help in the 0-50 mph range by letting the engine up to speed quicker.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If the vacuum drops low enough you would lose any assistance from the vacuum advance unit dropping the timing so low the engine would stall. Try an adjustable vacuum advance unit and recurve the distributor.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What do the spark plugs look like? You mentioned that sometimes like it feels not all cylinders are firing.

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
Hello All

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm out of town and haven't had a chance to check anything further since my last message. The plugs looked OK. A little dark brown to black but not too bad. Replaced them in April and only drove about 150 miles since. When I'm cruising at 50-60 MPH, it feels like there is some slight surging going on. Wasn't sure what was causing this or if it was a miss? When I put the car in gear, it doesn't jerk unless I'm feathering the pedal to keep the engine running. At idle, it doesn't jerk at all going in to gear. When cold, it goes into gear like normal. It only stalls when it's hot. I'm going to take it to a local guy that's supposed to be good on setting up carbs for altitude. Have to make sure I have the correct jets in for Colorado then set the rest up. I'm sure he can check everything out and find what's going on. This one is kicking my butt and I'm tired of chasing it. Thanks to all for your assistance. I'll keep you posted what they find.