348 Stroker Build

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
Will this thread sealer work for the head bolts? Leftover from another recent project. Said it’s good to 455°.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 13

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
So what could cause lifters to not fit? I’ve cleaned the lifter bores thoroughly, lubed the lifters to slide them in, and they won’t hardly go in at all without force. I got the matching Howard’s lifters to my hyd. roller cam. Lifters are part number 91364 which are 348/409 lifters. Rough check on the mic shows the lifters to be .840-ish in diameter.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I'd polish down an old used lifter a bit and use it try to see exactly what is going on. They also make a dingle ball hone that might help, but it's a bit surprising, if anything you sometimes see those bores wallowed out and/or egg-shaped.

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
Check the bores for burrs. The lifter should measure .842 give or take a couple tenths. Bores should measure .844 give or take a couple tenths.
Yeah I knew they were supposed to be .842, I figured the mic just wasn’t quite accurate enough, I need to get a quality mic set.
I think I'd polish down an old used lifter a bit and use it try to see exactly what is going on. They also make a dingle ball hone that might help, but it's a bit surprising, if anything you sometimes see those bores wallowed out and/or egg-shaped.
I don’t have an old lifter, but I may be able to get one and check

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
A buddy had an old 409 lifter and it fit in all the bores except one. It went in a ways and got stuck. Had to use pliers to pull it out. After that it went in and out fairly easily.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What 427John said is just what I was talking about. You have got a lifter to go in, but there is some buring/debris in some of the bores. An appropriately sized dingle berry hone should do the trick. Make sure your sample used lifter has a good od surface and check as you go. BE SURE and clean accordingly afterwards. SBC, BBC & W lifters are the same lifter, all .842 dia.
Jeff

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
Well, I’m at a standstill on the machined engine so I’m using the spare to mock up on the car. A buddy gave me motor mounts and six they were 3/4” forward mounts for my 57 Chevy. He’s running a small block in his and was going to use them to make room for a MSD distributor. Got the motor in tonight and more road blocks. My best guess is that they are not forward mounts. The driver side head nearly hits the firewall, as well as the passenger. When the motor torques, the passenger side will definitely hit the firewall. There’s no way the 65 Impala manifolds will fit, specially with the stock gearbox. It was also hitting on the upper control arm. Several setbacks but welcome to the world of hotroding. Good news is that the notched oil pan will clear the center link, and a rack if I switch to one.

Attachments

• IMG_8195.jpeg
    IMG_8195.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 71287689027__8379D0A8-8FFD-4C51-8ABC-06B94124BDEA.jpeg
    71287689027__8379D0A8-8FFD-4C51-8ABC-06B94124BDEA.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8201.jpeg
    IMG_8201.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8209.jpeg
    IMG_8209.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8188.jpeg
    IMG_8188.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 29

OkieJoe29

Well Known Member
I know I've read that the valve relief in the cylinder of a 348 is only good up to .550 lift. My cam has a .572 exhaust lift, and I'll need to deepen the valve notch. What tool was everyone recommending? I tried searching it but my search isn't working at the moment.