348 stroker question

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I haven't tried a 690 or 583, but an 817 head with the bigger valves of the 690/583 are a very close fit in an .060 over 348. If i remember correctly one of the valves goes down in the fly so lift is limited to the depth of the cutout, also. This was checked a couple of years ago so I'm not a hundred percent sure on this. Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

SteveD

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Same for the 333s?

SteveD:

Would those tolerances be similar if you switched the 817 heads to be 333 truck heads with bigger valves? Just asking, since this is something I might be facing at some point in time.

Thanks,
TomK

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 817 heads have the medium size valves and I don't think they would be a problem with the 333 heads in a 348 with those valves, as the stock 348 (1147?, not sure of the number-going from memory here) factory high performance heads also used this size valves.

SteveD

gearhead409

Well Known Member
threeimpalas

i just mock-up a stock bore 348 using 583 heads, a .030 head gasket, new 2.200 and 1.725 ferrea valves. the intake is no where close to the cyl. wall ( sure looks big looking at it from the crankshaft end of the cyl.) the exhaust will open .625 before it hits the bottom of the cyl. bore cutout. so don't pass up those 348 blocks, i think they could be made to run as strong as a healthy 409! good luck

my friend whom i aquired my camaro from stroked the 348 by using the 454 crank he mentioned that it ran him about 3500 for the whole job of rebuilding, I can ask him all the details in a day or so for ya, but it may take a day or 2 since im in fla and he is in san diego now. Our schedules with the navy really render our coms with each other lol. but i will get you the info if you would like it.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site! Yes I for one would like to know how it drives etc. That Camaro's going to cause a few people to scratch there heads wondering what kind of engine that is. :scratch

i havent been able to get with him but i remember him mentioning that he had the pistons shaved and he had the rods shortened for the stroke. i do know that he used a guy in south houston though i will get his name also.

I E-mailed show cars automotive and they said that they don't have any stoker kits for a .125 over bore. They would special order them however. All they needed to know was the stroke and what lenght rods I'll be using. A liitle later on I replyed
and gave them all the specs. They'll be ready in 3 to 4 weeks.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
SteveD409 said:
The 817 heads have the medium size valves and I don't think they would be a problem with the 333 heads in a 348 with those valves, as the stock 348 (1147?, not sure of the number-going from memory here) factory high performance heads also used this size valves.

SteveD
817 have medium size valves?? thought they had the same diameter as 690's and 583 at least mine do.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 817's also have the same size valves as the 690 and 583 heads, BUT, I had them installed. Normally (or stock), the 817 had the same size valve as the 1147 348 high performance head---2.07/1.72. Hipo 409 heads use 2.19/1.72. Lesser 348 and trucks had 1.94/1.65.

SteveD

M

MK IISS

I believe the 817 head was used on the 409/340 which had 2.06/1.72 valves.