348 stroker

58nick

I know this has come up before but I cannot get the old forum to come up. I have several 58 348 blocks and I am wondering what it takes to install a 409 crank and if 340hp 409 heads will work. I currently have all of these parts. I am installing this in my restored 58 impala currently 283. I had started a 409 but the block is beyong feasable repair.

Thanks

Not a problem, 58nick:cheers
When doing this, I recommend using big block Chev rods ( 6.135" length ), and ordering pistons for the proper pin height.
You have a great combination there:cheers

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Na

Put a 396 or 427 [3.75] and big block rods too.

Now you have super Ride! Both will help

Dale

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Aubrey-
If I do this and get the proper pin height, are the piston skirts gonna clear the crank counterweights? If so where do I get the pistons from?
I started this 348 with 409 crank project but ran into problems with pistons bottoming out on the crank-was told I needed to have the counterweights turned down and the crank rebalanced using 'heavy metal'. Then I had my fire, everthing rusted up because of the chemicals in the fire and I lost interest. Any help for the layman would be helpful.

Thanks,
SteveD

Crank Clearance

Steve.... I did it once using the 348 pistons with 409 rods. Had to grind metal off the bottom of the piston. Ran this engine in my 61 Biscayne after I took it off the strip. I put about 10,000 miles on it, then it went with the car... last I heard, the engine is still working fine.
I did it 'cause I had no money:cuss :p ... There is a far better way...
Ross will make 348 pistons for you that have the pin height adjusted for the 3.5" stroke and 6.135" BBC rod. I have my own dome design that they are making for me now... maybe you could try them:deal ;)