348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Good deal. Done right they run forever. What I have seen is the old timers that had these motors (348-409) tended to run them too long without changing oil. My 409 block was good, but all the internals were worn, and the oil pan and inside was dirty. Some folks keep the oil canister (100% original) but I believe a spin on does a much better job of filtering the oil.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Parts back from balancing last week. I think we are ready to prepare the block and heads for assembly. Little eye candy :brow

lm9MdKs.jpg
BUqPGtx.jpg
TS7DiGd.jpg
Q9FbTAh.jpg
9JdvsFC.jpg
THKO6rQ.jpg
FnpI6nW.jpg
GIgdzrs.jpg
nlYWI4R.jpg
sjetj0c.jpg
OBtTy0K.jpg
lTTig20.jpg

And again the intake manifold cleaned up and ceramic coated in aluminum:

m8eq185.jpg
O0zryOl.jpg

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good deal. Done right they run forever. What I have seen is the old timers that had these motors (348-409) tended to run them too long without changing oil. My 409 block was good, but all the internals were worn, and the oil pan and inside was dirty. Some folks keep the oil canister (100% original) but I believe a spin on does a much better job of filtering the oil.
Don't get me started on oil canister vs spin on! :D

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Parts back from balancing last week. I think we are ready to prepare the block and heads for assembly. Little eye candy :brow

lm9MdKs.jpg
BUqPGtx.jpg
TS7DiGd.jpg
Q9FbTAh.jpg
9JdvsFC.jpg
THKO6rQ.jpg
FnpI6nW.jpg
GIgdzrs.jpg
nlYWI4R.jpg
sjetj0c.jpg
OBtTy0K.jpg
lTTig20.jpg

And again the intake manifold cleaned up and ceramic coated in aluminum:

m8eq185.jpg
O0zryOl.jpg
Remind me, what stroke is this again? Also, which pistons did you get?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Once together this engine's going to run really well and last a long time with just routine maintaince.The cam isn't exactly what we wanted but it's pretty close and should do quite well.Due to the virus having shut down the cam core suppliers for a while,neither Comp nor Lunati could get cores in time for the engine to get done and back in the truck in time to drive it before the snow flies.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Once together this engine's going to run really well and last a long time with just routine maintaince.The cam isn't exactly what we wanted but it's pretty close and should do quite well.Due to the virus having shut down the cam core suppliers for a while,neither Comp nor Lunati could get cores in time for the engine to get done and back in the truck in time to drive it before the snow flies.
What cam were we going for originally? what sort of differences/variables are we looking at with this one?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
We were looking for one with a duration at .050 of 218 in.,224 ex.The Isky we have is at "straight across" pattern of 218-218.From the "seat of the pants" feeling I'd doubt that you'll be able to tell much difference and you can not argue with Isky's quality.In stock or near stock heads I prefer a cam with a little more duration for the exhaust side for better scavging much like the factory did.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We were looking for one with a duration at .050 of 218 in.,224 ex.The Isky we have is at "straight across" pattern of 218-218.From the "seat of the pants" feeling I'd doubt that you'll be able to tell much difference and you can not argue with Isky's quality.In stock or near stock heads I prefer a cam with a little more duration for the exhaust side for better scavging much like the factory did.
More like what the 0950 Cam from show cars has.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Very close but this cam is a hyd.roller.Comp has one in the hyd.roller listed but no W cam cores right now.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Slight change of subject, but yesterday I happened to look at a box of brand-new (pricey) Crower hydraulic rollers for a Ford. The lifters all had "Johnson" engraved on the lifter bodies. I've seen a lot of Crower lifters, never saw that before!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Slight change of subject, but yesterday I happened to look at a box of brand-new (pricey) Crower hydraulic rollers for a Ford. The lifters all had "Johnson" engraved on the lifter bodies. I've seen a lot of Crower lifters, never saw that before!
My name, my lifters. You can just ship those any time you like. No big hurry, I have all winter yet. :brow

'37-4D

Well Known Member
ZOLBulc.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I NERD OUT on camshaft specs. Why would they ever give you a paper with calculations for 1.7 rocker when factory rockers for both 348 and 409 are 1.75? Are they assuming you will use aftermarket rockers or are they telling you to use 1.7 rockers and not specifically telling you to do so?
I never understood this.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
So I NERD OUT on camshaft specs. Why would they ever give you a paper with calculations for 1.7 rocker when factory rockers for both 348 and 409 are 1.75? Are they assuming you will use aftermarket rockers or are they telling you to use 1.7 rockers and not specifically telling you to do so?
I never understood this.
That question is for @Don Jacks :D