348 value?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I bought my truck, it had a 348, which had good power and ran smoothly. But, within weeks, it started smoking through the blowby tube. Not the tailpipe. That points to rings, I think.
So, since the trans started making a funny noise and leaking fluid around the same time, I decided to swap the engine for a 409, and the trans for a 700r4. (Which, with the trans swap, wasn't quite as easy as I had expected.)
Anyway, I have a 250hp 348 here, that I would like to sell. I have a friend whose neighbor has some interest, and I would like some advice regarding what the fair value might be.
Thoughts?
Assuming that was a PG trans and the smoking started rather suddenly, your smoking could be from a bad vacuum modulator sucking trans fluid into the engine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was a th350 transmission, but if that is the case, I guess someone will be getting a good deal, cause I'm near the finish line with the 409, and I'm not putting the 348 back in now.

View attachment 89085
The modulator issue Oldskydog mentioned would still apply to th350's and th400's. Either way, doesn't matter for you. Looks good. What linkage did you use for the TV cable on the 700?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
First time it happened to me in a 62 Impala I thought the engine had really crapped out, billows of smoke

Back to the 348, Tell the new owner to try a PCV set up, I've seen lots of engines that have some blow by without and as long as it's not missing or fouling plugs it'll go on for some time before it really needs a rebuild

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just be sure that when it's hooked to the carb[an "adapter" is needed here] if you're running original Carter or Edelbrock carbs the the cable is level.If you are running the newer AVS2'S then the carb adapter isn't needed as the throttle lever already has the correct position for the cable hook up built in.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here’s my 700r4 bracket on my 350 for my truck. Plan on using it on my 348 stroker motor.. bolts in the holes for the coil bracket and I have relocated my throttle spring and I will not shorten the cable until I put in the 348. But that’s the way I bought it.

Attachments

• B0A97DFA-9979-4A52-B20E-E38F0D902EAB.jpeg
    B0A97DFA-9979-4A52-B20E-E38F0D902EAB.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 28
  • D359AD43-AC2B-4200-B211-B17C322658B2.jpeg
    D359AD43-AC2B-4200-B211-B17C322658B2.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 7996BD45-1EC3-462B-A235-EDC0E71AAB29.jpeg
    7996BD45-1EC3-462B-A235-EDC0E71AAB29.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

unclebrad

Nice bracket. Simple is almost always best.
I'm still thinking the bracket from my 348 is going to work, after cutting out an opening so that it will fit over part of the manifold casting that sticks up right there.

unclebrad

I have a question about adjustment now.
First, the adjustment articles and YouTube videos, all seem to be using a cable which has a "sliding" section, but my cable doesn't have that. On mine, that whole section is threaded, which I am assuming is for adjustment.

What is the purpose of the "sliding" piece if not all of the cables have it?

And, more importantly, what is the procedure for adjusting the type I have?

IMG_7974 lo b.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your cable does have the slide adjustment. Look at your picture just behind the red circle. That half black semi circle pops out for your initial adjustment, then do the throttle mash like most and it will get you real close. Then you can adjust a click or two as needed.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
“A willing buyer and a willing seller” is whatever it is worth. IMHO, a poorly running 348 and a neighbor who wants to buy it solves that problem. The engine will be out of your garage and into someone else’s, and it will be gone immediately. No freight and delivery worries and hassles, no ‘lookey-lous’, no annoying phone calls and demands.

whatever the neighbor is willing to pay is what I would do. But that is just me, and I am not world famous for always making the best choices - after all, here I am hanging out with you guys, what does that say about my choices?

Anyway, my two cents.

Chip

unclebrad

Thanks Jeff. I am waiting for the carb adapter and will do that task as soon as it arrives.

Chip, that's a good point regarding the "convenience" of moving it out with minimal hassle. That is definitely worth something.

unclebrad

Finally got the transmission kickdown cable adapter to hook up the 700r4 to the Carter AFB.

BUT it doesn't seem to fit. What did I do wrong?

Here is an illustration of the issue:

CarbTV adapter issue.jpg

adapter package 1.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know but I've got to get one for my new 2-4 set up.Can you post the instructions? Also which carb are you adapting too?