348 versus 409

3wdeals

This is probaly been rehashed on here but I am curious

If I have a re-buildable 348 already but can get (from what seller says) is a running 409 w/low mileage from an old fire truck for $4000; this is about what it is going to cost to build the 348?

I know the 348 is a 250HP, from what I found (on 348-409) the 409 trucks motors were like 242HP? If it is runnin then I woiulkd do nothing to it and it seems like without even stroking my 348 I'd get more HP from it?

Thanks, 3wdeals
First ever restore of '62 Biscayne

Have in all new floor pans, all new trunk, new quarter panels sitting in garage now needs lots more work...

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Too Much

I think 4k is too much for the 409 truck. Block, heads, Crank and sheetmetal is all that is usable on that thing. More like $2500.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with models. $2,500 would be a fair price. Even if you were to buy for $2,500 , it would require a rebuild, costing at least $3,000 to make horsepower. If you have a total budget of about $4,000, use the 348 and a 409 crankshaft and spend money for pistons, machine shop, and rebuild parts. You will end up with much more hp that way than using a 409 truck engine " as is ". It is a tough decision and must be made by how much money you want to spend.

Aducati4me

Well Known Member
348 and 409 Engines

This is a decision I also had to make and what I felt was that the 409 even tho a truck block was going to be worth more in the future than a 348. There is a lot you can do with a truck block, with money of course, especially if it's a 656 block from 64 or 65. They had more Ni content and were harder and less prone to cracks. Still, like everyone else has stated, it is a decision based on how much money you want to spend.

3wdeals

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their input, this car is costing me a fortune already, I been buying tools and parts. I work on computer not cars so all new to me..

I found a guy with a 409 ..656 truck block, 333 heads, crank, rods/ pistions , cam oil pan & some other miscellaenous parts for $1500 going for 3 hr drive to get it on Sat.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Make sure the crank turns & not locked up.
Look @ the left & right sides of the block (just below head / block mate area)
for horizontal freeze cracks.
Sounds like a fairly good deal to me ( if all is good ).

Good luck.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a friend that has a 409 truck motor thats still in the orginal crate. It's always been stored inside. I think he is wanting to sell it. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his phone number. AZ409

3wdeals

Thanks...

but I have all the parts I need (and no money) for now...

Thanks for tip on searching for cracks, I did ask and he stated no cracks

crank is out of motor; it is all in pieces

Attached is pic of block

Attachments

• 409block.jpg
    409block.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 63