348 Water Pump

Noel Edgar

Hello again,

seems I always need help. Just bought a water pump from Speedway. Did not do my due diligence. it is different then the one on the motor (shorter). From Block to pulley the old is 6 1/4" and the new is 5" . Any suggestions - can I still use the new one? Is there a spacer I can use?. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Noel

Attachments

• 20200221_141845[1].jpg
    20200221_141845[1].jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It looks like the pulley mount is pressed way too far down.I'd send that photo and that new pump back and tell them to send me one that's made right.Speedway are good people,they'll make it right.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Where is the mount plate supposed to be? Is there a measurement? Rebuilding mine and want to put it right. Not sure if where it was originally was right to start with.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am going with Don on this one because, assuming that conduit in back is level to the table, it looks like you could not use a bearing splitter or similar and a press to pull it forward enough. It doesn't look like there is enough room to get back to your measurement. Even if you could it looks like it would be hanging off the end. Is that mounting flange the same size.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The "nub" sticks out about 1/2 inch from the flange on most that I've seen.Some one here has the exact spec's I'm sure.

Reactions: Tim

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I rebuilt a few water pumps in the past. I can't remember if the specs are in the shop manual or if they came with the rebuild kits. I'll check later when I go out to the shop.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So long as the pump is ok, spins free, could you use water pump spacers and bring it back out to work with your belt?

427John

Well Known Member
The hub is definitely pressed on way to far,but even then the shaft still looks shorter,they may have pressed the bearing assembly and impeller on to far also,I would definitely send it back.Even if you were able to pull the hub back up to where it belongs the pic makes it look like there would be no pilot sticking out.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought the 65 water pumps for 409s were a little longer than the older ones? Maybe this is a 65 pump then? That could possibly explain the height difference between the new and old pump. I do agree that both of them seem to have the hub in the wrong spots though.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought the 65 water pumps for 409s were a little longer than the older ones? Maybe this is a 65 pump then? That could possibly explain the height difference between the new and old pump. I do agree that both of them seem to have the hub in the wrong spots though.

Your right the 65's are longer, and the pump in the picture appears to one of the longer ones. Even his measurements say its a late model.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was thinking that was possibly the case but I didn’t know the exact length difference.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I found the instructions that came with a rebuild kit. It is a copy of an article from Late Great. The article shows the rebuild of a small block pump and only gives the measurement for the small block. I checked the 61 shop manual which shows how to rebuild the pumps. But, it does not give a measurement only the part number for the "gauge" used for setting the hub dimension.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So does that mean that 65 pulls are different also to go along with the longer pump or is the water pump pulley deeper to compensate for the longer pump demission.