350 to 348 motor mount conversion

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
1. You have an original 409 oil pan so that's not the problem.
2. You have the wrong bolt in the lower LH exhaust manifold. Your spacer is way too wide for your power steering bracket. Bracket may be a fault. The lower exhaust manifold bolt has an extension stud out of the center of the head. You tighten the bolt down when you install the manifolds and then the PS bracket goes over stud that sticks out from the head. In other words...the PS bracket is spaced out the width of the head of the bolt. The spacer you have is too wide.
3. Don't know anything about the rest of the pictures!!!

Razecarz

Well everyone, we had a long weekend up here in canucksville and after much reading, consulting and a lot of sweat and swearing in my garage this weekend, I finally have my motor in place with 1 degree of tilt front to back. I repaired my transmission mount and first tried 1/4" spacers under all the bolts on the frame mounts but my through holes were too far out of alignment. So took out the 1/4" spacers on the two inside bolts and replaced them with 7/16" spacers and after a little wiggly jiggly one bolt went in and after a little more coaxing the other side finally line up. Now I have my clearances all over and my drive shaft is more centred in the tunnel. Can't wait to put the body back on and find out how it REALLY fits! Thanks for all your help guys, couldn't have done it without you.

Rae

Razecarz

Hmm, thought about that but didn't think there was much point checking until the body was back on the frame. While the angle of the rear half of the drive shaft will change a lot with the extra weight, it's not really got anything to do with the changes to the motor due to the center bearing. And while the drive shaft in front of the bearing will not move physically with relation to the frame, it will change with relation to the ground in that it will move with the frame as the frame moves down due to the weight. Unless I am missing something???

Razecarz

Raze, have you owned a few 409 2X4 intakes in the past ?
Hey Aubrey, how are things in Hanna? Actually I have never owned a 409 period let alone a 2x4. This is a 1965 348 truck motor decaled to look like a 409. I am not really into the racing/horsepower thing, just the looks. When I open the hood on my 62 SS tribute car I didn't want people to look in at a 350. It would kind of take away from the moment :)

I was just wondering, Raze:rub

Anyhow... I have been avoiding this thread, because it is just PAINFUL:yawn
Your engine "frame stands" that bolt to the frame, which accept the "through bolts" , are either backwards, or reversed left for right. Frankly, I didn't think it was possible... but it's done:clap;)
I finally managed to navigate through those HUGEpictures that you posed links to... and found where this fact was exposed. I re-sized the most informative one, and then took a couple photos of an original.
here's your picture:
pix03.jpg

Here's the same basic view of an original:

DSC01398.JPG

Here is a view showing how they should look on the frame:

DSC01397.JPG

Now, with that out of the way, you can go lift your engine, and re-position your frame stands. Also, the bolts go through from the top, nuts underneath.

now, lets build race cars

Attachments

• DSC01398.JPG
    DSC01398.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01397.JPG
    DSC01397.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 3

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Aubrey, I noticed the same thing in pic #3 and earlier in this thread I mentioned the after market peaches were more than likely his problem. You need to purchase a original set of frame perches and your problem with clearance will be solved the right way.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Aubrey, I noticed the same thing in pic #3 and earlier in this thread I mentioned the after market peaches were more than likely his problem. You need to purchase a original set of frame perches and your problem with clearance will be solved the right way.

YES!!! I never could figure out this thread and all the problems. If a 350 came out............ANY Chevy V8 would drop right in.

Razecarz

Ok, no one is more frustrated than I am with this situation. Just to clear the air a little, in case I have missed anything, here is a review of this car from day 1 of my acquiring it:

- motor left factory with 6 cylinder and powerglide
- when I got it, it had a 350 SBC out of a 1 ton truck or van and a turbo 350. The cross member had so many holes drilled in it, it looked like swiss cheese. There were some strange motor mounts welded on the frame that may be familiar to some, but were not something I had seen before so I cut them off.
- I sold the 350 and PG, welded all the holes shut and did a bunch of other stuff to the frame, springs, bushings etc.
- had another 350 rebuilt for the car and purchased new frame mounts from Classic Industries and engine mounts from Musclecar Parts in Calgary.
- mounted the new 350 with a Borg Warner Super T-10 behind it.
- 3 years later aquired the 1965 348 truck motor and was told it would just drop right in on existing mounts.
- upon installation of motor, discovered clearance issues related to missing transmission mount holes on frame and motor sitting too low on the frame due to ??????
- put spacers between frame mounts and frame to lift engine and repaired transmission mount to lower tranny ( and raise front of motor).
- while issues my still be related to aftermarket frame mounts, it's not due to them being installed backwards or on wrong side as far as my old eyes can tell. See (not so large) pix. :)004-20130704.jpg006-20130704.jpg009-20130704.jpg
front pass side view rear pass side view rear driver side view

Had difficulty getting good shot of driver side mount due to manifold in the way.

A local mechanic that came in to my store said the 348 car motor and truck motor were not the same. I know internally they were not the same but maybe there are external differences that are coming in to play???

Replace the frame... it's trashed.
Use ONLY original V8 stands from any prairie V8 "field car".

Oh, just had a thought... it appears that it may have been the previuos owner who put the junkyatd 350 in, who in the past, had owned a few aluminum 409 intakes, which have since been sold on eBay.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Car and truck block is the same dimentions. Truck blocks have some extra holes up front drilled and tapped, but that's it outside.