3rd member

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Can a 3rd member standard case be used with a posi with modification:dunno. If so what modifications need to be made.

Thanks
Bigblockwilly:beerbang

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Aftermarket fits

Eaton, Auburn, Strange posi fits the open case. GM original needs some grinding up next to the pinion somewhere. I would go aftermarket, easier on replacement parts and a bit stronger for around $450.00. Summit sells them.

b-d409

Well Known Member
Open Case Cutout

Here are couple pictures that show what needs to be done to use an original style posi in an open case.

Dan

Attachments

• Case Cutout.jpg
    Case Cutout.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 108

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
i had mine done i used a strange posi i bought the parts and brought them to rear end shop too install charge me 75.00 works great :clap

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Gabe, the Strange is cheaper than the Eaton as well, at least on the net.
Dave

b-d409

Well Known Member
Cap Girdles

Ross,

My brother-in-law made them for me. He's a machinist at a local tool and die shop. I am using them on my 3.08 and 4.11 rear ends. He will be making some more for me pretty soon so if you want a set PM me.

Dan

I used a "Yukon Gear" posi ( same style as original with 2 piece case and 6 spiders ) and had to modify the case as you can see. I picked it up new for $450.00