3x2 setup problem

Russ348

Well Known Member
O.K. all you 348/409 experts, especially those that deal with the 3x2 setup. Just installed mine this week. Was fabricated at Larry Fulton's shop and looks really nice. Suppose to be Fully Blue Printed-Jetted & tuned for my specification. Previously Fatride (hello Fatride) had stated that if the carbs perform as they should with no bogg out of the hole I will be a lucky dog. Well thats exactly what it is doing. Half the time it will bogg down and the other half backfire. :doh Fatride also stated that it made a big difference when he drilled out the accelerator pump shooters. Not sure what size jets or what years were used in the 2GC carbs but will call Larry to find out. Would it not be better to go with larger jets if it is running to lean. Will have it put on the scope next week to see if the problem is running to lean.
Could it not also be something to do with the timing?
Will appreciate any help from you guys. I know there is a ton of experience out there.:clap

Russ

Will try to post pictures later.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Russ, What linkage are you using ??
Progressive or solid ???

You could be opening all those carbs too fast,,

I know,,I know,,, Some of you think I`m nutz about this but it is a valid problem,dq

Also, since were neibors I could come and check it out !:brow

Even if I don`t know what the hey it is at least we could meet !!:D ,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Rats

Larry Fulton is to big for his britches, your not the first one to have this problem with his carbs. If you suspect a timing problem fix that first. If it is ideed a lean problem when you mat the peddle, jetting up will not cure the problem. There are a number of issues that can be looked at when the bumper hits the ground when you are trying for a quick getaway, from the spring under the pump being too stiff to the shooters themselves not being large enough to deliver the correct volume of fuel to cover up the shot of air when you turn up the wick. I suspect you are going to have to drill the shooters. First find out what size the shooters are for all three of your carbs. Next, with the top of the carb removed work the accelerator pump in the pump well and see if there are any issues. I will walk you through the process when the time comes. You will need a set of minus gauges a pin vise and some twist drills from .026" to .036"

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Please tell me more about opening carbs too fast. I have a tripower on my 348 with progressive linkage the kind where I loosen a screw and move the throttle lock to where ever I want it to open. I am not tryin to be funny I dont know is all. I took the heads off of my car and took them into the machine shop to have them checked and the man says who ever did them was a butcher. The guides where better than 6 thou over sized the valves where not seating ans the springs where right on the edge of binding. The seat pressure was low and it just goes on. Nice way to spend money but I was told it was a great deal. I have had nothin but problems in the past year with the oil and smokin gettin worse all the time. Oh well all will be better soon. John:grumble:

Russ348

Well Known Member
dq409 said:
Russ, What linkage are you using ??
Progressive or solid ???

You could be opening all those carbs too fast,,

I know,,I know,,, Some of you think I`m nutz about this but it is a valid problem,dq

Also, since were neibors I could come and check it out !:brow

Even if I don`t know what the hey it is at least we could meet !!:D ,,dq

DQ,
Not sure what solid linkage means. The car runs off the center carb only and when you smash the peddle the other two carbs are dumped into. Once the gas peddle is pressed enough it hits the bumper and kicks the end carbs into play.
Will play with this with my mechanic a little to make sure the timing is on and if its running to lean. Than I may just have to give you a call. :brow O.K?

Russ

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Russ, You have progressive linkage and it sounds like it is working.
I would listen to Fatride as he is the expert here on tri-power !!:brow

You can PM me and I will exchange phone numbers.

Jonnyrod, Sounds like the ol problem of having an incompetent machinist !! I think we all have been there a time or two.
Ask around and find a good machinist that knows what a "W" block is and has knowledge about them. It does sound like you at least have a machinist that knows heads now anyways.
Once you get the heads and valve springs sorted out I bet your engine will come alive !!! Just keep your ears open here and you will most likely get the answers you need before you even ask,,
Good luck, dq